Page 1 of 1

Rear brake pad wear. XE.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:21 pm
by mjverdeyen
Hello,
I own a 2017 2lt diesel. At its 1st MOT I was told the rear brake pads will soon need changing. The warning light hasn't come on yet, but car has only done 14,500 miles. Is this usual? I was told it its because the electronic handbrake doesn't come off quickly enough so the rear pads wear more quickly than the front. I have also read that the calliper pins stick. I have often changed pads on my cars in the past, will I be able to safely change them on my XE.
Also do the wear indicator sensors need changing with the pads?
Martin Verdeyen

Re: Rear brake pad wear. XE.

Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:48 am
by mike020150
Changing rear pads is perfectly possible as a DIY task on the XE but it's slightly complicated by the electronic parking brake which has to be set into service mode before commencing work. The easiest way to do this is with a suitable code reader with this facility. However, there is an alternative manual procedure available. Let me know if you need it. The wear sensors can be reused if they haven't been activated. Pad removal involves taking the slide pins out to release the calliper and then the pads can be changed. Mike.