Page 1 of 1
B Post Rattle
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:32 pm
by jagdaveh
Help! An annoying rattle has developed at the bottom of my 2017 Portfolio n/s B post. It does it nearly all the time without much variation due to speed, road surface, cornering, etc. I expect it'll be obvious what the problem is once the cover is off, but can anyone tell me how to remove the bottom section? I expect the front and/or rear tread plates will need removing but what clips and screws might I encounter? I'd like to steer well clear of the B post cover top section with the side airbag behind if at all possible!!
Re: B Post Rattle
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:36 pm
by mike020150
It's doubtful that you will be able to remove the bottom section of rim without also removing the top section. Front and rear treadplates have to come off along with the door aperture seals which will reveal some of the clips holding the top and bottom B post trims. There are 4 clips on the bottom section and 6 clips (including the top two lugs) on the top section. Dependent upon what is rattling, you shouldn't need to disturb any airbags. Mike.
Re: B Post Rattle
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:45 pm
by jagdaveh
Thanks Mike.
Do the tread plates just pull out and are there any easily broken clips to be aware of?
Cheers Dave
Re: B Post Rattle
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:07 pm
by mike020150
As long as you pull the tread plates squarely upwards (by hand), all should be well. Similarly, ensure you line the clips up carefully when you replace the treadplates or you will risk broken clips. Should you break them, the various clips cost £2/£3 each to replace. Mike.
Re: B Post Rattle
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:06 pm
by jagdaveh
Thanks - I'll be careful. Given the forecast strong winds and rain in my neck of the woods over the next few days, it may be a little while before I get around to looking at it!
Re: B Post Rattle
Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:46 pm
by jagdaveh
Before I managed to get around to removing the B post trims, I discovered that the centre of the tray under the floor had broken free from one of its plastic clips! This was banging on the bottom of the car and, together with various stones and other debris, was showing up as a rattle from the bottom of the B post. Problem now resolved with the tray cleaned out and securely bolted to the bottom of the car - and no need to disturb the trim!!
Re: B Post Rattle
Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:13 pm
by mike020150
Noises are notoriously difficult to track so the outcome is no surprise. I bet the various clips and self-tappers holding the undertrays to the car looked corroded. I wonder just how easy they will be to remove in a few years' time!

Mike.
Re: B Post Rattle
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:50 am
by Marineng
Thank you for the update Dave.
This has beed a really useful tip - I will certianly double check the undertray on my car.
Kind regards
Paul
Re: B Post Rattle
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:35 pm
by greensimonc
Thanks for posting that - my wife has been saying it sounds like there’s something rattling in the passenger door of my E Pace……just checked the under tray and it was loose. Went in for its first service recently - coincidence?!
Cheers, Simon.