A/C died!
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
You may find the culprit is the pulley bearing which do wear out well before the compressor; I changed mine several years ago but is rumbling again, possible my bad if I have made the belt tension too tight
. As is fine when driving I am leaving alone for now.
Re: A/C died!
Thread resurrection!
It might be of use to others if I describe how I did the fresh air trick.
This relates to the Delanair III in my ‘88 XJS, it may or may not be the same system that you have.
Firstly a fully working A/C system is the preferred option by far.
For various reasons, that isn’t always the case. Maybe you have lost all the gas, maybe the compressor has failed, maybe the condenser has rotted through etc. etc.
If you run the car with a non-working A/C unit no harm will occur as the compressor cuts out with low gas pressure but you will soon notice the car gets exceptionally hot and stuffy inside. This is because by default the system goes into recirculation mode.
So, an easy and reversible trick is to disable the vacuum solenoid which is located in the left side area of the footwell side cheek. The cheek and duct needs to be removed but they are only held by a couple of screws. The solenoid in question has a blue tube, simply disconnect the green earth wire but insulate the terminal which is now uncovered. I did take photos but can’t find them now as it has been a couple of years since I did this mod.
In the engine bay on the right hand side is a small cover, the main A/C electrical relay is under here and it may be prudent to pull it out which will definitely stop the compressor from attempting to run.
The car will now run permanently run with fresh air, the heater will still work as will the fans and heater controls as normal. I found it to be so successful I hardly miss the A/C at all. OK, maybe not the last few days! But it is certainly an improvement.
Pic below shows the relay position. Locate the Red/Blue wire and disconnect it, wrap with some insulation tape just in case.
It might be of use to others if I describe how I did the fresh air trick.
This relates to the Delanair III in my ‘88 XJS, it may or may not be the same system that you have.
Firstly a fully working A/C system is the preferred option by far.
For various reasons, that isn’t always the case. Maybe you have lost all the gas, maybe the compressor has failed, maybe the condenser has rotted through etc. etc.
If you run the car with a non-working A/C unit no harm will occur as the compressor cuts out with low gas pressure but you will soon notice the car gets exceptionally hot and stuffy inside. This is because by default the system goes into recirculation mode.
So, an easy and reversible trick is to disable the vacuum solenoid which is located in the left side area of the footwell side cheek. The cheek and duct needs to be removed but they are only held by a couple of screws. The solenoid in question has a blue tube, simply disconnect the green earth wire but insulate the terminal which is now uncovered. I did take photos but can’t find them now as it has been a couple of years since I did this mod.
In the engine bay on the right hand side is a small cover, the main A/C electrical relay is under here and it may be prudent to pull it out which will definitely stop the compressor from attempting to run.
The car will now run permanently run with fresh air, the heater will still work as will the fans and heater controls as normal. I found it to be so successful I hardly miss the A/C at all. OK, maybe not the last few days! But it is certainly an improvement.
Pic below shows the relay position. Locate the Red/Blue wire and disconnect it, wrap with some insulation tape just in case.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
