I am planning to attempt to re-commission the air conditioning system on my 89 3.6 XJS. The system hasn't worked in the 14 years that I have owned the car. The plan is to fit a new GM / Harrison A6 compressor, replace the expansion valve, replace all o-rings and fit a new receiver drier compatible with non-cfc refrigerant. The condenser and cooling fan were renewed when I restored the car in 2003 in anticipation of getting the system running again but it has taken me 11 years to get round to it!
What I am wondering is whether anyone here has undertaken a similar task and could offer any tips or advice.

Some of the questions I have are as follows:
How likely is it that the evaporator is still intact?
How should the system be cleaned before recharging?
What refrigerant to use?
Have I overlooked anything obvious?
Any help will be much appreciated.