No mechanical boot release
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:58 am
I recently found an unusual solution to gaining access to the boot when the battery was completely disconnected from my XE and thought I would let you know in case someone else came across the same problem.
I wanted to top up the charge in the cars battery so I unlocked the car, disconnected the battery from the electrical system in the boot and put my charger in there to do the charging.
When I needed to go back indoors, with the car parked outside, without thinking about it I closed the boot not realising at the time that there was no mechanical release (the chargers power supply was thin enough to be unaffected).
As a result absolutely no way to get back inside the boot, I did not have folding rear seats and even if I did the lock release is inside the boot so that wouldn't help. Well and truly stuffed, I checked the owners manual, looked on line and even asked my local dealer if they knew of a way round the problem - all to no avail.
The solution I eventually worked out was to apply power to the jump start terminals under the bonnet, which does have a mechanical release.
I used a Jump Starter Booster pack which gave more than enough power for the cars electrical system to work and for the remote to open the boot without any further problems.
I wanted to top up the charge in the cars battery so I unlocked the car, disconnected the battery from the electrical system in the boot and put my charger in there to do the charging.
When I needed to go back indoors, with the car parked outside, without thinking about it I closed the boot not realising at the time that there was no mechanical release (the chargers power supply was thin enough to be unaffected).
As a result absolutely no way to get back inside the boot, I did not have folding rear seats and even if I did the lock release is inside the boot so that wouldn't help. Well and truly stuffed, I checked the owners manual, looked on line and even asked my local dealer if they knew of a way round the problem - all to no avail.
The solution I eventually worked out was to apply power to the jump start terminals under the bonnet, which does have a mechanical release.
I used a Jump Starter Booster pack which gave more than enough power for the cars electrical system to work and for the remote to open the boot without any further problems.