Page 1 of 1

Windscreen washer reservoir loses fluid?

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:11 pm
by mjverdeyen
Hi,

I wonder if anyone is experiencing the problem I have. I fill up my windscreen washer bottle use it two or three times and in no time at all the car tells me the fluid is low. Each time I fill it up it takes 5 lts. Does this car use more fluid than most? My dealer says I need to take it in for a day but wont tell me if there is a problem with this or not. It will be inconvenient for me to take it in so I would like to have any previous history to hand. The car is an XE Portfolio I have had it 4 months and it has always been the same.

Martin Verdeyen

Re: Windscreen washer reservoir loses fluid?

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:56 pm
by Cubist
No way should you be getting through 5 litres so quickly. Theres clearly a leak somewhere in the system, have you noticed any puddles under the car after its been parked overnight say? Could be anything from a damaged reservoir to a burst, broken or disconnected pipe.

Re: Windscreen washer reservoir loses fluid?

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 am
by mike020150
I had a similar issue when I first bought my XE. I traced it to a sticking headlamp washer jet which wasn't closing properly. Luckily, after using the car and the washers for a couple of weeks, the problem solved itself. It's the sort of problem which can be caused by using washing up liquid rather than purpose designed washer fluid. Mike.