I'm suffering a intermittent fault with my gearbox,last year the transmission light came on and the gearbox seem to be stuck in 2nd gear, after turning the engine off and then back on a while later everything was ok no light or fault code on trip computer, now this weekend 3 months later I had the same problem again! While I was driving the orange transmission light came on and would not change up or down, I turned off engine waited a minute and restarted and all back to normal! Any ideas what's going on?
Any advice would be appreciated thanks Cliff
Transmission light on
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
1992 XJS convertible 4.0 signal red
2012 XJL Portfolio
2012 XJL Portfolio
Re: Transmission light on
Sounds to me like possibly an alectrical glitch. Possibly a poor connection or a break in a wire?
I think your car is probably too old for plug in diagnostics of the OBD2 type but there may be a specialist with the older Jaguar- specific kind.
I'd usually say that with an auto gearbox fault a fluid and filter change is a good start as if can cure all sorts of funny symptoms.
I think your car is probably too old for plug in diagnostics of the OBD2 type but there may be a specialist with the older Jaguar- specific kind.
I'd usually say that with an auto gearbox fault a fluid and filter change is a good start as if can cure all sorts of funny symptoms.
Re: Transmission light on
Cliff,
First of all, when was the fluid and filter last changed? As David mentioned, an oil change on these ZF 4-speed boxes can cure a lot of problems. Secondly, see if you can have a look at the wiring switch on the side of the box. The wiring can become both brittle and oil-soakd on these models which can give rise to intermittent problems.
Good luck
Paul
First of all, when was the fluid and filter last changed? As David mentioned, an oil change on these ZF 4-speed boxes can cure a lot of problems. Secondly, see if you can have a look at the wiring switch on the side of the box. The wiring can become both brittle and oil-soakd on these models which can give rise to intermittent problems.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Transmission light on
Hi
Thanks for replys
Fluid and filter were changed about 2 years ago and only covered about 5000 Miles since, I'll check wiring at the weekend, some one mentioned a transmission relay which I should find in the boot, but cannot seem to find it,maybe that's the problem,it's not there!
Regards Cliff
Thanks for replys
Fluid and filter were changed about 2 years ago and only covered about 5000 Miles since, I'll check wiring at the weekend, some one mentioned a transmission relay which I should find in the boot, but cannot seem to find it,maybe that's the problem,it's not there!
Regards Cliff
1992 XJS convertible 4.0 signal red
2012 XJL Portfolio
2012 XJL Portfolio
-
matthew@calvertarchitect.co.uk
- Posts:3
- Joined:Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:37 pm
Re: Transmission light on
I have exactly the same issue with my 1992 XJS 4.0. It seems to be getting worse with the orange light coming on more often though sometimes a stop, switch off and re-start cures the problem. I will look into a ATF fluid change first.
Re: Transmission light on
Bit of a long shot - but could it be an intermittent speed sensor issue? On my X300 Daimler Six I had issues after a non -jaguar garage replaced some wheel hubs. That was a mistake - they damaged one of the wheel speed sensors used by the ABS and ECU - caused the car to go into limp-home mode randomly until replaced. Corroded sensors can do the same. I appreciate that most XJ-S use a speed pick-up from the transmission or rear-diff - but was not sure about late XJS.
1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 HE 5-speed manual
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

