Can anyone recommend a company to do a complete engine rebuild on my 1970 XJS V12 Engine, it has only done 67,000 miles from new and when i took it off the road about 10 years ago the engine was running good, the car has been garaged since taking it off road.
I would prefer a Garage close to Worcestershire if possible.
Cheers Jim
V12 Engine Rebuild
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: V12 Engine Rebuild
Year should read 1990.
Jim
Jim
Re: V12 Engine Rebuild
Hi Jim - does the engine turn over? As long as it's not siezed then at such a low mileage it shouldn't need a full rebuild. KWE near Newbury do an "intensive service" where they replace or refurbish all of the ancillaries such as the fuel system, alternator, starter and perishables such as coolant hoses and ignition leads.
http://www.kwecars.com/services/upgrade ... he-engine/
Regards
David
http://www.kwecars.com/services/upgrade ... he-engine/
Regards
David
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: V12 Engine Rebuild
Hi David,
Thanks for your reply, the engine did turn over the last time I tried it which was a couple of years ago, I have moved house recently so the car is now garaged at my Sons factory so I will give it a try.
Regards
Gwynfor
Thanks for your reply, the engine did turn over the last time I tried it which was a couple of years ago, I have moved house recently so the car is now garaged at my Sons factory so I will give it a try.
Regards
Gwynfor
Re: V12 Engine Rebuild
Hi Gwynfor,
Check these guys out. I have not used them myself but they seem to have a good reputation.
Grantham Bridge Motors
18 Kidderminster Rd, Droitwich, WR9 9AY
01905 772909
I hope this helps but would agree David that a full re-build should be unnecessary. A good clean, check and getting it started to turn the engine over a for a while should be more than sufficient.
Cheers,
Cubist
Check these guys out. I have not used them myself but they seem to have a good reputation.
Grantham Bridge Motors
18 Kidderminster Rd, Droitwich, WR9 9AY
01905 772909
I hope this helps but would agree David that a full re-build should be unnecessary. A good clean, check and getting it started to turn the engine over a for a while should be more than sufficient.
Cheers,
Cubist
The first sign of advancing years - going out to do one thing and coming back having done something else. 
Re: V12 Engine Rebuild
Thanks for your help Cubist.
Regards
Gwynfor
Regards
Gwynfor
-
DaveNeedham

- Posts:38
- Joined:Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:23 pm
Re: V12 Engine Rebuild
Before you attempt to spin it over it may be worth while pulling the spark plugs and putting a bit of oil down the bores. You could even use a bit of diesel fuel. It would help free the rings if they are stuck and/or gummed up. I don’t know the 12 pot but is there a crankshaft pulley nut you could get on with a suitable spanner and turn it over by hand?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
