Hi guys
Both my electric (memory, non-heated) seats have stopped working, as have the electric mirrors. My extensive knowledge of such things has enabled me to check that the fuses are okay, but now I'm stumped! I know the seats and mirrors must be linked for the memory function, but I've no idea what to look at next. I recently had to jump start the car due to a flat battery. Any guidance would be gratefully received.
Electric Seats not working
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
-
keithbaker
- Posts:60
- Joined:Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:33 pm
- Location:Kent
Regards,
Keith.
1996 Celebration Convertible (LHD)
Keith.
1996 Celebration Convertible (LHD)
Re: Electric Seats not working
If you lift the footwell carpets you'll find a metal cover plate underneath the front seats. Under the cover plates either side are the control modules. May be worth checking the connections?
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
-
keithbaker
- Posts:60
- Joined:Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:33 pm
- Location:Kent
Re: Electric Seats not working
Thanks, David - I'll take a look.
Regards,
Keith.
1996 Celebration Convertible (LHD)
Keith.
1996 Celebration Convertible (LHD)
Re: Electric Seats not working
Keith,
It could be something to do with the way the car was jump started.
I believe the instructions state that the earth wire from the jumping battery should not be connected to the earth on the car's battery. The best place to earth the jumping battery is via the boot lock hasp. With delicacy of modern wiring looms this could blow fuses if not corrected properly.
Brianh
It could be something to do with the way the car was jump started.
I believe the instructions state that the earth wire from the jumping battery should not be connected to the earth on the car's battery. The best place to earth the jumping battery is via the boot lock hasp. With delicacy of modern wiring looms this could blow fuses if not corrected properly.
Brianh
1988 XJ-S 5.3 Litre Convertible, Signal Red
1996 XJS 4.0 Litre Celebration Coupe, Ice Blue
1967 420 4.2 Litre Saloon, Golden Sand
1996 XJS 4.0 Litre Celebration Coupe, Ice Blue
1967 420 4.2 Litre Saloon, Golden Sand
-
keithbaker
- Posts:60
- Joined:Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:33 pm
- Location:Kent
Re: Electric Seats not working
Hi David
I followed your advice, unplugged the module, and touched the control switch. The fuse blew again, indicating that that's where the problem was. I then swapped the control switch with the driver's one to confirm, but to my surprise both worked. I've put everything back together, and so far so good!
Brian
I was concerned that the jump start might have caused some damage, hence the mention, but the healthy car was a hybrid and I had to connect positive to positive, and negative on the XJS's battery to an earth on the hybrid's body. Hopefully this method is as safe as the recommended one.
Thanks both.
I followed your advice, unplugged the module, and touched the control switch. The fuse blew again, indicating that that's where the problem was. I then swapped the control switch with the driver's one to confirm, but to my surprise both worked. I've put everything back together, and so far so good!
Brian
I was concerned that the jump start might have caused some damage, hence the mention, but the healthy car was a hybrid and I had to connect positive to positive, and negative on the XJS's battery to an earth on the hybrid's body. Hopefully this method is as safe as the recommended one.
Thanks both.
Regards,
Keith.
1996 Celebration Convertible (LHD)
Keith.
1996 Celebration Convertible (LHD)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests
