Upgrading the stereo.

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

barefoot
Posts:13
Joined:Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:41 pm
Upgrading the stereo.

Postby barefoot » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:39 am

When I set about my 3,6 restoration I had a go at upgrading the stereo. I put an amp under the passenger seat and a new bluetooth head unit.

Image

The sound as expected was awful as the car still had the original speakers so after looking at the rears and as I had all the interior out I altered the rear panels to fit some 6x9 speakers

Image

These didn't look right so I then altered the panels adding ply wood and covering bits in green leather that I was using for the rest of the interior. There is a lot of depth available once you bring the speaker forwards to sit flush behind the armrest. AS I was doing this I kept refitting the panel in the car so as to make sure nothing caught and that the rear seat belt was free to move.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Once the panel was fitted back in the car I jigsawed out a round grill and covered it with some old brown speaker mesh I had spare off an old house speaker.

Image

The front door panels were shot so I bought some new ones and then made some spacers in ply to take the new deeper speakers again covered them in leather and put back on the original grills, the sound is spot on now and looks reasonably factory fit.

Image

Image

User avatar
BigCatXJS

Moderator
Posts:744
Joined:Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:35 am

Re: Upgrading the stereo.

Postby BigCatXJS » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Nice one! I had a set of Alpine SPR-50 Coaxial speakers fitted in the front doors so that I could enjoy substantially more bass and treble from my headset. I've kept the standard rears in, but have adjusted the balance to biased the front speakers (sort of a 80/20 split).


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests