Page 1 of 1

Car will not unlock

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:06 pm
by greeban
HELP!!
Locked the car with the remote - came back later to unlock and the car give me two beeps when I pressed the fob as normal but the doors do not unlock Tried using the key in both doors but nothing! Feels like the door locking module is busted and now I cannot get into the car?
I can open the boot - tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. Checked charge and is nearly full. Seems that the car is deadlocked and there is nothing that you can do if it breaks to then unlock it.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

Re: Car will not unlock

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:31 pm
by greeban
All fixed!!

I called out the AA who managed to get in. What transpired is that on locking the car the doors locked but the fuse also blew so could not unlock with the fob. It then became a perfect storm in that as I never use the key, both locks were gummed up so when trying to use the key to unlock nothing happened.
The AA man just kept trying the door lock and eventually it worked. We then could open the passenger door from the inside and worked on it for a while to get the key working in the lock.
He then checked the fuses and sure enough the central locking module fuse had blown. With a new one put in everything worked again as it should.

I am hoping the fuse blew because of excess load due to stiff locks so will clean and lubricate. AA man said if not this then could be one of the solenoids shorting or a chafed wire. Hoping is just needing lubricating.

Re: Car will not unlock

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:59 pm
by andypryce
Well done!

Re: Car will not unlock

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:52 am
by SimonR
Phew! Kudos to the AA man for knowing what to do - I'd love to be party to their database of known issues with the various cars they have to rescue.

Re: Car will not unlock

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:45 pm
by greeban
Unfortunately the AA man was right that there might be a further problem - sure enough the fuse has blown again - some discovery needed at the w/e! I am thinking probably one of the solenoids has gone bad or I might be lucky and is the mechanisms being stiff creating too much load on the electrical circuit. Watch this space!!

Re: Car will not unlock

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:59 pm
by PaulGover
I'd have a look for chafed wiring shorting to earth as well.

Re: Car will not unlock

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:27 pm
by greeban
Thanks for the advice - will do!

Re: Car will not unlock

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:42 pm
by greeban
Quick update - by deduction found the passenger door solenoid was faulty. Replaced it with s/h unit and all working properly. It is a real faff to get the old lock out to replace the solenoid. I found removing the door handle allows you to access to the difficult/impossible to reach rods inside the door making the removal fairly straightforward. I then was able to service the locks on both doors, cleaning and greasing as needed so hopefully now all good.

The passenger handle rubber surround crumbled on removal so had to order a new one of these which are still available on eBay which is a relief!

Re: Car will not unlock

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:49 pm
by andypryce
Good result, maybe worth a write up for the magazine as guessing a common issue as our cars get older.

Re: Car will not unlock

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:23 pm
by davidr
Good result, maybe worth a write up for the magazine as guessing a common issue as our cars get older.
Yes please!!