I'm new to this section of the JEC and I was just wondering if anyone could help.
I have just got my first XJS, It's fantastic as one would expect. However I have a broken headlight.
Firstly, any ideas how to remove it?
Secondly, I have a spare but the reflector is a bit damaged. Any ideas if I can remove the glass from the replacement one and match it to the reflector of the original one with the broken glass?
Thanks to anyone that helps.
Ads
Headlights
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Headlights
To remove the headlight, Lift the bonnet, then look for the screws that retain the chrome finisher and remove them If your car has headlight wipers Flip back the cover and remove the retaining nut then ease the wiper off the spindle. Then remove finishing chrome trim.
The headlight is held by clips that you can spring away from the shell.Take care not to damage them. I have managed to remove a glass on one of these headlamps with a sharp blade and patience. What do you have to lose?
Let us know how you get on. It probably sounds more difficult than it is. Take care not to overtighten chrome finisher when replacing it. and check it clears the bonnet as you lower it.
regards Kels
The headlight is held by clips that you can spring away from the shell.Take care not to damage them. I have managed to remove a glass on one of these headlamps with a sharp blade and patience. What do you have to lose?
Let us know how you get on. It probably sounds more difficult than it is. Take care not to overtighten chrome finisher when replacing it. and check it clears the bonnet as you lower it.
regards Kels
Headlights
Don't think the face lift ones use clips, and the adjusting cables have to be 'displaced' in the words of the service manual.
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
Headlights
Facelift model headlamps held in place with 4 or 5 Torx head bolts. Once you have removed the chrome trim, you'll be able to see the bolts with the aid of a torch.
Not sure about removing the headlamp glass from the reflector. never tried it.
Jaguar are now producing replacement headlamp units, but I guess they will be pricy
Not sure about removing the headlamp glass from the reflector. never tried it.
Jaguar are now producing replacement headlamp units, but I guess they will be pricy
Headlights
Ads,
Welcome to the Bulletin Board. A '98 reg XJS - Wow, that must be the last registered one in the world!
From a quick check, you don't seem to have entered the details in the vehicle register as yet. I'd be really grateful if you can do that asap. Please ensure you have all the relevant details including paint and trim codes before you start the process. Any problems, drop me a line or give me a ring. Tks
As regards headlights, I have removed a glass once but it's really quite tricky. It's a stepped flange and it's difficult to break the glued seal. It is possible but also equally likely that you'll break the glass. Do it very slowly if you try it.
As Nigel says, facelift lights are now available new after years of non-availability. You might be quite surprised at the competitive price, considering that good used lights were making up to £150+ only recently.
Paul Sinnott
XJS Registrar
Welcome to the Bulletin Board. A '98 reg XJS - Wow, that must be the last registered one in the world!
From a quick check, you don't seem to have entered the details in the vehicle register as yet. I'd be really grateful if you can do that asap. Please ensure you have all the relevant details including paint and trim codes before you start the process. Any problems, drop me a line or give me a ring. Tks
As regards headlights, I have removed a glass once but it's really quite tricky. It's a stepped flange and it's difficult to break the glued seal. It is possible but also equally likely that you'll break the glass. Do it very slowly if you try it.
As Nigel says, facelift lights are now available new after years of non-availability. You might be quite surprised at the competitive price, considering that good used lights were making up to £150+ only recently.
Paul Sinnott
XJS Registrar
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Headlights
jag92hot
Think you're a bit off topic there...........
DH Dove
Think you're a bit off topic there...........
DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
Headlights
jag92hot
That HAS to be the first time anyone's accused me of political correctness, none taken
In fact it's just a question of Forum etiquette..........otherwise before you know it there's Cabrio registrations all over the place..........
Regards
DH Dove
That HAS to be the first time anyone's accused me of political correctness, none taken
In fact it's just a question of Forum etiquette..........otherwise before you know it there's Cabrio registrations all over the place..........
Regards
DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
Headlights
Re replacing lens: I have a 7 or 8 year old Palm handheld device which has a failing battery. I looked on the web & a couple of people said that because the case is not screwed together, it couldn`t be taken apart without destroying it. However, a replacement battery supplier gives the method of using a hair dryer around the edge of the unit for some time to soften the glue & then it prises apart quite easily. To reassemble, heat it up again & clamp together until glue sets. May be worth a try.
88 3.6 & 95 4.0 Celebration Coupe
Headlights
Thanks JBB,
From what I understand you are spot on with the heating thing however, I have since just replaced the whole unit with the help from those that replied here. Now I have moved on to the rear radius arms, front subframe mounts and maybe I'll give the front bearings a go...
Any suggestions?
Once again thanks to you and all those that helped, I hope this post may help other 'theoretical mechanics' in the future.
From what I understand you are spot on with the heating thing however, I have since just replaced the whole unit with the help from those that replied here. Now I have moved on to the rear radius arms, front subframe mounts and maybe I'll give the front bearings a go...
Any suggestions?
Once again thanks to you and all those that helped, I hope this post may help other 'theoretical mechanics' in the future.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests
