Volt gauge strange behaviour

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

User avatar
BjornV
Posts:40
Joined:Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:33 pm
Location:Södertälje/Sweden
Volt gauge strange behaviour

Postby BjornV » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:51 pm

Hi there.
I want to know what you think about the following.
Car in question is a 1994 6.0L V12.
When I start the car, the volt gauge sits absolutely still. No movement at all.
After approx. 5 minutes it suddely wakes up and shows what it normally does.
I do wonder what causes this? :?:

Facts:
-Battery warning light turns off directly after engine start.
-ca 2 min after engine start I have about 14,5V at the battery (engine idling).
-Afer a few miles of driving, I have 13,8 V at the battery (engine idling).

So I seems like the altenator is OK and charging.
But something is strange with the gauge.
Björn V
XJS 6.0 V12 -94
Morgan +8 -98

User avatar
ng4xjs

Member
Posts:477
Joined:Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Volt gauge strange behaviour

Postby ng4xjs » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi Bjorn
My car is the 4.0L version and I had something very similar. I tracked my problem down to the positive and insulated terminal that passes through the bulkhead on the left side (RHD) car. If your car is LHD then behind the fuse box there is a power insulated terminal that passes through the bulkhead (firewall) which can become corroded. It needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Hope this helps

Nick
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver

User avatar
BjornV
Posts:40
Joined:Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:33 pm
Location:Södertälje/Sweden

Re: Volt gauge strange behaviour

Postby BjornV » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the tip, Nick.

My car is also RHD, actually. It was impoted to Sweden from the UK a bit over 10 years ago.
I will try to find that terminal.

Anywone thas has a picture of it?

Best regards
Björn V
XJS 6.0 V12 -94
Morgan +8 -98

User avatar
BjornV
Posts:40
Joined:Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:33 pm
Location:Södertälje/Sweden

Re: Volt gauge strange behaviour

Postby BjornV » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:01 pm

Strange things, these cars.
After consistently showing this problem for almost a year, it has now disappeared.
:?:
Björn V
XJS 6.0 V12 -94
Morgan +8 -98


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests