XJS Aerial relay
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Does anyone know of a replacement relay for the electric aerial relay, the big green one in the boot? I am not a revit counter so just looking for a straight swap with something modern.
Re: XJS Aerial relay
DAC10018 and DAC1820 A couple of solutions,
Search Ebay for those, a couple available in the States.
Search Ebay for Lucas 8DA relay which brings in a few suggestions.
If you don't mind a longer delay from the 12 seconds then it looks like one from a Range Rover *might* be a substitute.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-R ... SwE9lZrqbu

You don't say what the fault is, but I guess the aerial is either constantly up or down?
Stonleigh spares day is coming up soon, that's a good place to hunt down this sort of thing.
Search Ebay for those, a couple available in the States.
Search Ebay for Lucas 8DA relay which brings in a few suggestions.
If you don't mind a longer delay from the 12 seconds then it looks like one from a Range Rover *might* be a substitute.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-R ... SwE9lZrqbu

You don't say what the fault is, but I guess the aerial is either constantly up or down?
Stonleigh spares day is coming up soon, that's a good place to hunt down this sort of thing.
Re: XJS Aerial relay
Do you actually know it's broken? It's a low-tech device and therefore if the aerial doesn't work, it could be the control board inside the aerial - depending on which version you've got fitted. Also, the aerial drive fills with crud washed down the mast past the seals. After a few years, all the beautiful nylon gears and wotsits seize up.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: XJS Aerial relay
Hi guys, thanks for the help. The aerial goes up fine but won’t go down when turning the radio off. The relay then gets very warm and when I unplug it the aerial goes down as it should.
Re: XJS Aerial relay
OK, does sound like the relay's sticking. It might be worth taking the cover off (they're usually just bent over slots in the plastic relay base), and giving the contacts a clean. It's possible the contacts have developed a pip and crater, much as the ignition points used to in the days before electronics.
Best way to clean them is to use your significant other's best sapphire-coated nail file. Avoid wet-and-dry and silicon carbide papers as the grit can get into the contacts and damage them. You can use the nail file to slop the bent-over bits of cover back past the base too,
Best way to clean them is to use your significant other's best sapphire-coated nail file. Avoid wet-and-dry and silicon carbide papers as the grit can get into the contacts and damage them. You can use the nail file to slop the bent-over bits of cover back past the base too,
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
- CliveRothwell

- Posts:286
- Joined:Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm
- Location:Stamford, Lincolnshire
- Contact:
Re: XJS Aerial relay
You have two good answers there from Pop Rivet and Paul.............Both work, I have done both. You might just have to come to terms with the fact that you have a Land Rover part on your car.
Re: XJS Aerial relay
Thanks for that, I shall strip it and see what I can do.
Re: XJS Aerial relay
Thanks guys, stripped, cleaned and now working 
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests