Hi everyone,
Here are the symptoms of my car's wierd electric behaviour:-
no interior lights on courtesy door switch (all function ok manually)
passenger door mirror switch randomly moves passenger seat, occasionally moves the mirror!
engine runs with no problem but in use it sounds like the passenger seat motor is operating (without moving the seat!)
the boot lock has not worked with the central locking for a long time but suddenly it started to work for a while, now U/S again
I wonder if all this wierdness is caused by a weak earth connection? If you agree, could you please tell me where the most relevant one is please? I cannot find any earth point location info in the workshop manual.
Any other ideas would be much appreciated. It would be nice to sort it out during the winter lay-up ready for next year's motoring joy!
Thanks in anticipation, Ian H (Derbyshire, England
Erratic electrics '93 facelift 4.0 convertible RHD
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
-
IanHolliday

- Posts:11
- Joined:Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:47 pm
- Location:DERBYSHIRE
Ian Holliday
Derbyshire Region
X350 (03/2004)
XJS 4.0 convertible reg 08 1993
Derbyshire Region
X350 (03/2004)
XJS 4.0 convertible reg 08 1993
Re: Erratic electrics '93 facelift 4.0 convertible RHD
Ian,
I'm not sure which workshop manual you have, but the Jaguar workshop manual electrical section details the locations of each of the earth terminals on each of the circuit pages.
However, the erratic behaviour that you have described, all seems to emanate from the left hand door, therefore one would assume that the problem may lie in damage to the wiring that passes through from the A-post into the door. Perhaps a chafed wire which is causing one or more of the circuits to take live to earth.
I would start by disconnecting the battery and then carefully checking where the wires pass through from the A-post to the door.
Good luck
Paul
I'm not sure which workshop manual you have, but the Jaguar workshop manual electrical section details the locations of each of the earth terminals on each of the circuit pages.
However, the erratic behaviour that you have described, all seems to emanate from the left hand door, therefore one would assume that the problem may lie in damage to the wiring that passes through from the A-post into the door. Perhaps a chafed wire which is causing one or more of the circuits to take live to earth.
I would start by disconnecting the battery and then carefully checking where the wires pass through from the A-post to the door.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
-
IanHolliday

- Posts:11
- Joined:Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:47 pm
- Location:DERBYSHIRE
Re: Erratic electrics '93 facelift 4.0 convertible RHD
Thank you for your thoughts, Paul. I will check as you suggested because you are right in your observation, all the problems seem to involve the passenger door - I guess it sometimes needs someone to point out the obvious!!
I have the workshop manual on a DVD and although I can see various earth points within the circuit diagrams I cannot see any detail as to where they are actually located in the car.
Kind regards,
Ian H
I have the workshop manual on a DVD and although I can see various earth points within the circuit diagrams I cannot see any detail as to where they are actually located in the car.
Kind regards,
Ian H
Ian Holliday
Derbyshire Region
X350 (03/2004)
XJS 4.0 convertible reg 08 1993
Derbyshire Region
X350 (03/2004)
XJS 4.0 convertible reg 08 1993
Re: Erratic electrics '93 facelift 4.0 convertible RHD
Hi Ian,
Good luck with your investigations!
As regards the earth points, see below typical pages from the wiring diagrams, where the detail page identifies the approx locations of the earth points. Hope that helps.
Paul
Good luck with your investigations!
As regards the earth points, see below typical pages from the wiring diagrams, where the detail page identifies the approx locations of the earth points. Hope that helps.
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
-
IanHolliday

- Posts:11
- Joined:Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:47 pm
- Location:DERBYSHIRE
Re: Erratic electrics '93 facelift 4.0 convertible RHD
Thank you again,Paul. Your version of the workshop manual is different to mine and shows those ground points that I don't have. Your copy of them you posted is rather too small to see and enlarging it becomes too blurred to read clearly although I can just make out the improved data. Is there any way you can send me a better copy? Maybe direct to my email - if you send me a private message I can then tell you my email address.
Cheers, Ian
Cheers, Ian
Ian Holliday
Derbyshire Region
X350 (03/2004)
XJS 4.0 convertible reg 08 1993
Derbyshire Region
X350 (03/2004)
XJS 4.0 convertible reg 08 1993
Re: Erratic electrics '93 facelift 4.0 convertible RHD
Ian,
Just use the online resource at http://jagrepair.com/
Pick "XJS" in the Electrical Section, then pick the 1994 4.0 Electrical in the top section. (Most UK "1993" cars are 1994 MY. Assume you have big bumpers? If your VIN is pre-188105, then use the 1993 Electrical one.)
Cheers
Paul
Just use the online resource at http://jagrepair.com/
Pick "XJS" in the Electrical Section, then pick the 1994 4.0 Electrical in the top section. (Most UK "1993" cars are 1994 MY. Assume you have big bumpers? If your VIN is pre-188105, then use the 1993 Electrical one.)
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
-
IanHolliday

- Posts:11
- Joined:Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:47 pm
- Location:DERBYSHIRE
Re: Erratic electrics '93 facelift 4.0 convertible RHD
Wonderful! Thanks again, Paul. A resource a had not previously been aware of.
Information all now ready for when conditions are suitable for working on the car
Cheers, Ian
Information all now ready for when conditions are suitable for working on the car
Cheers, Ian
Ian Holliday
Derbyshire Region
X350 (03/2004)
XJS 4.0 convertible reg 08 1993
Derbyshire Region
X350 (03/2004)
XJS 4.0 convertible reg 08 1993
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests