fuse boxes
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Hi Folks, My name is Alun, I live in Barry in South Wales and have just become the new owner of an XJS HE registered 01/08/1985. She drives ok but not all of the electrics are working so I checked the Main Fuse box under the steering column and this is were my dilema starts. On the inspection cover it lists fuses 1 to 12 with relevant ratings, but in the Haynes book of lies for this model and year they are different and it doesn't help that the fuses in it are not correct for either lists. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
fuse boxes
Hi Alun
Welcome to XJS ownership!
The label on the fuse box cover is the best source of info but Jaguar managed to reverse several of their diagrams/labels so working out which way round you are looking at the box can be challenging.
I didn't realise Haynes did a book for the XJS but frankly the only one worth having is the genuine Jaguar item. You can get it on CD from the JDHT for under £20 or so, usually by return of post and it has the parts catalogue as well. Link to their catalogue here:
JDHT
What electrical issues are you having? Many can be resolved by replacing the old fuse with a new one, even if it looks and tests OK.
Welcome to XJS ownership!
The label on the fuse box cover is the best source of info but Jaguar managed to reverse several of their diagrams/labels so working out which way round you are looking at the box can be challenging.
I didn't realise Haynes did a book for the XJS but frankly the only one worth having is the genuine Jaguar item. You can get it on CD from the JDHT for under £20 or so, usually by return of post and it has the parts catalogue as well. Link to their catalogue here:
JDHT
What electrical issues are you having? Many can be resolved by replacing the old fuse with a new one, even if it looks and tests OK.
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
fuse boxes
Alun
Hi there and congrats on your XJS Ownership.
In my experience the best guide to what fuses are where other than the labels is the owners handbook supplied with the car. Even some of the other Jag publications contain errors! You should be able to pick up an HE owners handbook fairly easily on e-bay or at a rally.
BTW I still have a pretty dog-eared but complete genuine Jaguar XJS V12HE Parts Manual, I shan't use it again, if you would like it and are willing to pay the postage you can have it FOC to start your reference library, please drop me an e-mail if you want it.
Best Wishes
DH Dove
Hi there and congrats on your XJS Ownership.
In my experience the best guide to what fuses are where other than the labels is the owners handbook supplied with the car. Even some of the other Jag publications contain errors! You should be able to pick up an HE owners handbook fairly easily on e-bay or at a rally.
BTW I still have a pretty dog-eared but complete genuine Jaguar XJS V12HE Parts Manual, I shan't use it again, if you would like it and are willing to pay the postage you can have it FOC to start your reference library, please drop me an e-mail if you want it.
Best Wishes
DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
fuse boxes
Hi DH Dove,
Thanks for the offer of the parts catalogue of which I would like to take you up on it. My telephone number is 01446 741684 if you can let me know how much the postage will be to Barry in South Wales or send me your number and I will contact you.
Again many thanks for this.
Alun Coelho
Thanks for the offer of the parts catalogue of which I would like to take you up on it. My telephone number is 01446 741684 if you can let me know how much the postage will be to Barry in South Wales or send me your number and I will contact you.
Again many thanks for this.
Alun Coelho
fuse boxes
Hi almcl,
Thanks for your quick reply, I will check out the web site you have supplied the details of. I have no Near side rear lights working and I have a fixed mounting plate size being 9" by 6" on that same side with a cable coming down that side with a connector that looks like a computer connector plug.
Regards
Alun
Thanks for your quick reply, I will check out the web site you have supplied the details of. I have no Near side rear lights working and I have a fixed mounting plate size being 9" by 6" on that same side with a cable coming down that side with a connector that looks like a computer connector plug.
Regards
Alun
fuse boxes
The computer plug and mounting plate may have been for a car telephone. I found something similar in my '84 Daimler Double 6 and some of the installation work on these beggars belief!
The nearside side light fuse was a 3 amp no 14 in the aux fuse box (according to one tech svcs bulletin) but this should affect front and rear. If all the lights in the cluster are inoperative it might be worth checking the earth connection.
The nearside side light fuse was a 3 amp no 14 in the aux fuse box (according to one tech svcs bulletin) but this should affect front and rear. If all the lights in the cluster are inoperative it might be worth checking the earth connection.
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
