Correct Battery type ??

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

jimthack180
Posts:22
Joined:Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:56 pm
Correct Battery type ??

Postby jimthack180 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:43 pm

I have a 1988 XJ-S 5.3 and have had problems recently with the battery going flat. This may be because I don't use the car much at this time of year, in which case I might simply disconnect the battery when out of use. However, on removing the battery for charging, I see it is only rated at 50 amp hour, and the workshop manual stipulates 68 amp hour. Also, I am quite concerned that this appears to be a standard battery, no sign of any vents or pipes anywhere. Should I be worried ? Does this mean I have to buy a Jag Battery, no doubt at an extortionate price ??

Jim


poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Correct Battery type ??

Postby poprivet » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:43 pm

You can do much better, and cheaper then a Jaguar battery. Useful tips here http://www.jec-xjs-forum.org.uk/xjsbb2/ ... highlight=
Pop


poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Correct Battery type ??

Postby poprivet » Tue May 22, 2007 4:52 pm

Over the last week I noticed the engine seemed to be turning a bit slower then normal when starting. I thought the battery was perhaps 4 or 5 years old so must be due for replacement but looking through my records, I last changed it 10 years ago! Definately time for a replacement.
I had one delivered to my door by http://www.tayna.co.uk/ fully filled, charged and ready to go at a great price. I ordered the Varta which has the vent in the right place, in fact it has vents at both ends which come plugged. I had to swap over the vent adaptor from the old battery, but its only a push fit.
Ready for another 10 years I hope!
Pop


User avatar
MARKPEARSON

Member
Posts:157
Joined:Sat May 27, 2006 11:25 pm

Correct Battery type ??

Postby MARKPEARSON » Fri May 25, 2007 6:08 pm

i found euro car parts very good 75ah bosch silver maintenance free with 3 year waranty for £61.69 inc vat www.eurocaeparts.com


User avatar
MARKPEARSON

Member
Posts:157
Joined:Sat May 27, 2006 11:25 pm

Correct Battery type ??

Postby MARKPEARSON » Fri May 25, 2007 6:10 pm


poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Correct Battery type ??

Postby poprivet » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:42 pm

In 2007 I wrote:

Over the last week I noticed the engine seemed to be turning a bit slower then normal when starting. I thought the battery was perhaps 4 or 5 years old so must be due for replacement but looking through my records, I last changed it 10 years ago! Definately time for a replacement.
I had one delivered to my door by http://www.tayna.co.uk/ fully filled, charged and ready to go at a great price. I ordered the Varta which has the vent in the right place, in fact it has vents at both ends which come plugged. I had to swap over the vent adaptor from the old battery, but its only a push fit.
Ready for another 10 years I hope!
Pop
10 1/2 year update!
My battery was starting to slow down on cold days after standing for a few days so I decided to renew it. Similar Varta from Tayna again at the same price it was last time, I can't argue with that, very pleased :D

User avatar
BigCatXJS

Moderator
Posts:744
Joined:Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:35 am

Re: Correct Battery type ??

Postby BigCatXJS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:45 am

Yup - I obtained a battery from Tayna for my XJS last year - very good service and price!
1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 HE 5-speed manual
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests