Page 1 of 1

Safety issues

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:37 am
by NATONEIL
Ladies and gentlemen
I see that 11 members have already read my last thread which highlights possible safety issues with our cars and tells readers where they can find more information. As the thread creator I have had the thread locked so that it remains a notice rather than a discussion piece.
My next natural step would be to stick the thread at the top of the SS100 Board so that casual readers who read the board but do not contribute much, see it, but I am just a contributor myself and so I would be interested to see if Roy, Reg, John and others who contribute to this section would agree to this before I ask the JEC to do it?
I would welcome your views.

Re: Safety issues

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:38 am
by lowebird
Neil,
What a very good idea, you have obviously benefitted from your long drive and laying off the beer.

Reg

Re: Safety issues

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:38 pm
by 4jagsjohn
I am ok with this. it is always good to share issues etc with each other whatever they may be.cheers John.

Re: Safety issues

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:59 pm
by RoyC
That's OK with me. It would be good to have a "signpost" to these issues.

Re: Safety issues

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:55 pm
by jagss100
Hi All
A couple of issues that I have not heard from other owners of Suffolks that I have experienced
I built my Suffolk about 5 years ago
I had to replace the knuckle joint at the steering column to steering rack, worth checking
I also installed a throttle peddle stop. I had a caterham in my younger days and it snapped the throttle cable when I enquirer with caterham they said that they did a throttle peddle stop for racing ( my heavy right foot)
The throttle stop is very simply a piece of threaded rod with a disc about the size of an old penny ( hope you are able to remember 1d's) welded to the end with a thin piece of rubber stuck to its face
Drill a hole in the bulkhead behind the throttle peddle and put penny washer and lock nut on both sides adjust to suit
Stops excessive strain on the throttle cable

Re: Safety issues

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:16 am
by lowebird
Hello Dave,
Thanks for the good idea, however my "throttle stop" requires no drilling at all. I just look at the speed the fuel gauge drops and convert that to hard earned cash. It's suprising how you quickly you slow down !!!!!!

Reg

Re: Safety issues

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:11 am
by NATONEIL
Did a treasure hunt the other day, all low speed got through a couple of gallons in 20 miles. From now on I will thrash it it is cheaper