Good morning,
Despite a Google search and contacting various windscreen replacement companies I'm unable to source a company that will carry out repairs to the elements of a heated rear screen.
There are several products available that claim to cure any breakages but I really don't want that kind of item.
Does anyone know of a company or individual that carries out such a practice?
Thanks in advance.
Ian
Heated Rear Windscreens
Moderator:LJR
1977 Daimler XJC
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Heated Rear Windscreens
Since they have an easier time than front screens and plenty have survived, it would probably be worth considering buying a working second hand rear screen. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Heated Rear Windscreens
Hi Mike,
Your idea in principal sounds like the ideal way to go, however, when purchasing such an item from a second hand supplier all have stated so far that they have no way of testing the item and cannot guarantee that it will work.
So what do i do? Buy 5, 10, 15 screens, pay to have them installed and then test them in order to see if they work only to remove them one by one and end up with a pile of knackered heated screens?
So, again, my predicament still stands.
Is there a company/individual that will carry out repairs to a rear heated windscreen.
Thanks again in advance.
Ian
Your idea in principal sounds like the ideal way to go, however, when purchasing such an item from a second hand supplier all have stated so far that they have no way of testing the item and cannot guarantee that it will work.
So what do i do? Buy 5, 10, 15 screens, pay to have them installed and then test them in order to see if they work only to remove them one by one and end up with a pile of knackered heated screens?
So, again, my predicament still stands.
Is there a company/individual that will carry out repairs to a rear heated windscreen.
Thanks again in advance.
Ian
1977 Daimler XJC
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000
Re: Heated Rear Windscreens
I'm interested as to why suppliers say they can't test the heating elements on a rear screen.
I would say that all you need is a multimeter and an eyeball!
First look carefully at each element. It will be apparent where there may be a break.
Secondly test the elements for continuity starting with testing between the connectors and then across each element.
Hope that helps
I would say that all you need is a multimeter and an eyeball!
First look carefully at each element. It will be apparent where there may be a break.
Secondly test the elements for continuity starting with testing between the connectors and then across each element.
Hope that helps
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Heated Rear Windscreens
Hi David,
It does seem strange to me that almost every car built from, lets say, 1970, has a heated rear screen, yet there seems to be no one out in this restoration world that has the ability to repair such an item.
The easy thing to do seems to just buy a new one, but as these vehicles become more and more desirable then so do the replacement parts for them.
At some stage stocks are depleted and then the answer is not to have such important items not working.
And that is something that I find difficult to understand. I can acquire a service for almost everything to restore my current menacing vehicle, but a repair to a heated rear screen is something that appears not to exist.
Ian
It does seem strange to me that almost every car built from, lets say, 1970, has a heated rear screen, yet there seems to be no one out in this restoration world that has the ability to repair such an item.
The easy thing to do seems to just buy a new one, but as these vehicles become more and more desirable then so do the replacement parts for them.
At some stage stocks are depleted and then the answer is not to have such important items not working.
And that is something that I find difficult to understand. I can acquire a service for almost everything to restore my current menacing vehicle, but a repair to a heated rear screen is something that appears not to exist.
Ian
1977 Daimler XJC
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000
Re: Heated Rear Windscreens
Hi Ian - I have some elements on the rear screen of my XKR that are not working so I have bought a repair kit. I haven't tried it yet so we'll see how I get on!
Re: Heated Rear Windscreens
You can buy conductive paint at Halfords ("Comma Electo Connector"). I've not tried it, but AFAIK, it's for repairing breaks in printed-on heated screen elements. No use for embedded wires, of course!
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: Heated Rear Windscreens
Hi Paul,
In my first message in this thread I mentioned the products that are available that claim to fix these issues, however, I have no wish to use such an item if there is a company that can take on this task for me.
I'm still amazed that there is not a company in existence that will undertake such a repair.
Ian
In my first message in this thread I mentioned the products that are available that claim to fix these issues, however, I have no wish to use such an item if there is a company that can take on this task for me.
I'm still amazed that there is not a company in existence that will undertake such a repair.
Ian
1977 Daimler XJC
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000
Re: Heated Rear Windscreens
Hello Ian,
I can only guess a lack of demand, that and the cost to provide a reliable repair? What price is a new screen?
Just as a matter of general interest Pilkington Glass now make one off's of classic screens when they are no longer available. Also they will make heated screens even if they were never offered originally.
Alec
I can only guess a lack of demand, that and the cost to provide a reliable repair? What price is a new screen?
Just as a matter of general interest Pilkington Glass now make one off's of classic screens when they are no longer available. Also they will make heated screens even if they were never offered originally.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: Heated Rear Windscreens
Email correspondence from Pilkington Glass:
Hi Luke,
Would your company manufacture a heated rear screen for the above subject matter?
Many thanks
Ian
Hi Ian,
We could do yes, however, this would not be a straight forward order.
There would need to be a minimum order Qty for the order (I.E 25 PCS)
Also we would need to make tooling and cutting patters etc so could be costly.
The order including tooling could cost roughly £6000 - £7000
***Second Email***
Hi Ian,
We currently don’t have any tooling for this heated rear.
We could make one, however, we would need to make new tooling.
With this we would need a MOQ of 25.
The order could be in excess of £5000.
We would also need a pattern glass to copy for making the tooling to.
Thank you
It appears that this can be done at a cost of £200 (ish) per windscreen.
I would imagine that any screen could be manufactured if order quantities are sufficient.
Maybe JEC could be directed into a manufacturing scheme.
The Reliant Scimitar owners club offer a system where the members will place an order for a windscreen and when enough orders are achieved (ie 25) they are sent off for manufacture.
Maybe this could be the way to go with this kind of replacement system especially as vehicle glass for classic cars are becoming scarce.
Thoughts please.
Ian
Hi Luke,
Would your company manufacture a heated rear screen for the above subject matter?
Many thanks
Ian
Hi Ian,
We could do yes, however, this would not be a straight forward order.
There would need to be a minimum order Qty for the order (I.E 25 PCS)
Also we would need to make tooling and cutting patters etc so could be costly.
The order including tooling could cost roughly £6000 - £7000
***Second Email***
Hi Ian,
We currently don’t have any tooling for this heated rear.
We could make one, however, we would need to make new tooling.
With this we would need a MOQ of 25.
The order could be in excess of £5000.
We would also need a pattern glass to copy for making the tooling to.
Thank you
It appears that this can be done at a cost of £200 (ish) per windscreen.
I would imagine that any screen could be manufactured if order quantities are sufficient.
Maybe JEC could be directed into a manufacturing scheme.
The Reliant Scimitar owners club offer a system where the members will place an order for a windscreen and when enough orders are achieved (ie 25) they are sent off for manufacture.
Maybe this could be the way to go with this kind of replacement system especially as vehicle glass for classic cars are becoming scarce.
Thoughts please.
Ian
1977 Daimler XJC
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000
Re: Heated Rear Windscreens
Hello Ian,
it seems that you are unlucky. Either Pilkington were not original suppliers to Jaguar or they dumped their patterns (less likely I would say)
I am awaiting delivery for a front screen for my Triumph 2000, bought as a one off as they already have the patterns. I have also ordered it as a heated screen which was never an original option. Not cheap but available.
I did buy a screen a few years done as a group buy as you suggest (It was done by an individual who arranged it via a Triumph club and collected sufficient orders and money to place a group buy. This is more economical). But I damaged mine and had to replace it.
Alec
it seems that you are unlucky. Either Pilkington were not original suppliers to Jaguar or they dumped their patterns (less likely I would say)
I am awaiting delivery for a front screen for my Triumph 2000, bought as a one off as they already have the patterns. I have also ordered it as a heated screen which was never an original option. Not cheap but available.
I did buy a screen a few years done as a group buy as you suggest (It was done by an individual who arranged it via a Triumph club and collected sufficient orders and money to place a group buy. This is more economical). But I damaged mine and had to replace it.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: Heated Rear Windscreens
I agree with Alec, I have had a heated front screen made for my Rover P6 which, whilst expensive, was reasonable priced. You could try contacting JDHT to see who was the original supplier for the rear screen as I doubt it was Pilkington as they seem to keep all there patterns.
1996 Jaguar XJR6(auto)
2002 Jaguar X350 4.2(auto)
2002 Jaguar X350 4.2(auto)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests
