But I have seen other pictures of seats with 6 pleats. What would be correct for an S2 Sovereign? Was lumbar adjustment a feature from S1 or was it added later?
Front seat design - XJ vs Sov
Moderator:LJR
-
ChrisDixon
- Posts:330
- Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
- Location:Kent
If my understanding is correct through series 1 - 3 Jags had narrow pleated seats and Damilers wide pleated. Here is a picture from a S1 Sovereign:

But I have seen other pictures of seats with 6 pleats. What would be correct for an S2 Sovereign? Was lumbar adjustment a feature from S1 or was it added later?
But I have seen other pictures of seats with 6 pleats. What would be correct for an S2 Sovereign? Was lumbar adjustment a feature from S1 or was it added later?
Re: Front seat design - XJ vs Sov
My S1 Sov has five pleats and no lumbar support. AFAIK, the Jaguar S1 seats were finished in perforated leather.
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Front seat design - XJ vs Sov
I haven't seen lumber support on a car until series 3 cars when the seat frames were also revised to allow some at least to incorporate a height adjustment. Wider pleated seats without perforations were used on Daimlers to signify the use of more expensive leather since plain leather without marks is more difficult to produce or conversely, perforated leather with more pleats makes it easier to camouflage natural surface defects on hides. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
-
ChrisDixon
- Posts:330
- Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
- Location:Kent
Re: Front seat design - XJ vs Sov
Thanks Mike and Robbie, I seems I have a pair of S3 Sovereign seats with 5 pleats, lumbar but no height adjustment. Just wanted to be able to describe them reasonably accurately in the classifieds. They had been fitted to my S Type but I have sourced original seats for that.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest