Page 1 of 1

Tyre bargain - too good to be true?

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:17 pm
by agards
I need to replace my tyres (95 4.0 Coupe) and have been recommended Millenium Star tyres made by Cooper Avon. Very tempted at £81 per corner, fitted. Can anyone recommend these tyres? they seem too cheap to be any good Should I stick with Pirellis?

Tyres

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:59 pm
by dhdove
Agards
Apparently Avon Tyres were bought out by the USA Cooper Tyre & Rubber Company.........
I used to fit Avon "Turbospeeds" to my V8 Rover and they were fine, (but an approved tyre by Rover) I dont think Jaguar ever recommended Avons for the XJS. :?:
I guess you pays your money and takes your choices........I've always run my XJS's on Pirellis.........if you shop around Pirelli 6000's should be available, fitted and balanced for just over £100.00 inc. VAT, an extra £20.00 per corner.
Having said that I used to run my 2.8i Capri on Kum-Sang Chos, or something like that!!! from Malaysia, £30.00 each inc. everything. Soft as s**t, gripped the road like glue and lasted 12,000 miles if you were lucky! :shock:
IMHO for the XJS it's worth going with the spec.............. for the length of time that the tyres last I would go with the puckah gear.....so its £80.00 extra over two/three years with regular use???
Best Wishes
DH Dove

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:10 am
by ng4xjs
That’s the point isn’t it . You pays yer money! Practical Classics ran a really good article last month (ish – the one with a Mini Cooper on the front) on how tyres perform and the relevance of this versus cost.

Personally I have used Dunlop Sport for the last 10 years and found them to be an all round good tyre. I note also that Perelli is a very popular application for our cars. These types of tyres are not the most expensive but they are far from being a Budget option.

Nick

Alternatively

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:30 pm
by cya266x
A complete and "proper" set of tyres for the XJS is going to cost nearly £500's and I found discrepencies and ambiguities in advice from the various local tyre outfits (The "recommendations" would have been set at least ten years ago by Jaguar). :?
The club "valuations" as they are at the moment you may be spending a good chunk of the car's value on it's tyres! (that was probably an unecessary criticism) :evil:
So, take a look at mytyres.co.uk (for example) it has lots of information and test results comparing tyres; noise, grip wet & dry, and wear rates. I now have a new "high tech" set of tyres for less than half the normal price, can't fault them, very happy and have some money in the bank to maintain the car. :D

Tyre bargain - too good to be true?

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:15 pm
by poprivet
Can someone tell me what is the correct tyre for the 16"x7" 5 spoke wheel CCC4943 as fitted to later cars.
Is it 225/55 ZR 16 or 225/60 ZR 16 ?
Pop


Tyre bargain - too good to be true?

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:22 pm
by dhdove
Pop
Owners Handbook states..........
"5 spoke alloy road wheels
Road Wheel Size 7J x 16
Tyre Type/Size Dunlop SP2000 225/55 ZR 16
Alternative tyre type/size Pirelli P4000 E 225/60 ZR 16
Caution Do Not Mix Tyre Size and Make"
I guess this is a slight trade off between firmer roadholding and comfort............. :?:
I'm running on Pirelli P6000 225/55 ZR J ( J = Jaguar approved/specified).
NB Following a puncture this morning and repair this afternoon got a quote for same of £98.00 all in :)
Regards
DH Dove
PS Have you bought some new "wheels" or some new wheels?


Tyre bargain - too good to be true?

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:45 am
by MARKPEARSON
agards You might try black circles .com p6000 with correct jaguar rating (important) retail at £93.33 inc vat each plus £10 delivery for 1 to 4 tyres bargain tyres if you want to go that route are £46.54 each they also do a local fitting service. Sometimes quickfit do very good offers (4 for3) and if you take an account card with them you get a further discount just make sure you pay it off in full on first statment.


Tyre bargain - too good to be true?

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:00 pm
by ptjs1
Pop,

Tyre size on the late 5-spokes was determined by the type of suspension fitted. Basically "Touring" (or "Comfort") Suspension meant you got 225/60 ZR 16, and "Sports" Suspension meant you got 225/55 ZR 16. The Pirelli 225/55 ZR 16 tyres were originally P600 which became replaced by P6000. The 225/60 ZR 16 are P4000s.

For late cars, all 6 litres got Sports Suspension as standard. 4 Litres had Sports on Coupes, and Touring on Convertibles. You could theoretically specify either Sports or Touring on any model if one wished.

Hope that helps (although I suspect it actually makes it more confusing!)

Regards,

Paul


Tyre bargain - too good to be true?

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:08 pm
by ptjs1
Pop,

Just found a 1995 options price list:

£210 to get Jaguar to put the alternative suspension on.

Sounds like a rip-off! Assuming that Sports shockers & tyres etc must be more expensive, they still charged you £210 to put the cheaper items on the car instead if you wanted Touring Suspension!

Paul
(Currently with Touring suspension & P4000s, but with a set of Bilsteins in the garage waiting to go on the car, and I'll put P6000s on next tyre change)


Tyre bargain - too good to be true?

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:32 pm
by ptjs1
agards,

apols for hijacking yr thread.

Pop,

Just had another thought:

Speedos and final drives and ECUs etc are all the same on Convertible and Coupe 4 litres. So what determines the correct speed on Touring or Sports suspension, as there's about 7% difference in circumference between 225/60 & 225/55 tyres? Is there some clever speed control module with a different part number for Touring or Sports Suspension? I can't seem to find such a part.

So, is that also why all the owners who have moved to 225/55 think their car is so much quicker but appears to have awful fuel consumption?

Paul
(Slow but frugal....)


Tyre bargain - too good to be true?

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:50 pm
by poprivet
Good interesting stuff! A long time ago when I first got my xj-s, it had a mixture of 225/60-15 which needed replacing. Apart from wobbly handling due to the cheap/bold tyres fitted, the worst for me was that it was under-geared and showed a very inaccurate speedo (measured against GPS). At that time a full set of correct 235/60-15 although pricy, were readily available and were fitted. Spot-on speedo accuracy and much grippiness ensued, if a bit noisy, I digress.

Now of course, the correct P600s are becoming increasingly difficult to find and rather the using 225s again I thought it would make sense to start looking for a set of 16" wheels, conflicting tyre details in the books I have resulted in my question, which has been admirably answered. However, the rolling circumference still makes me ponder, using
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
gives the following circumference and revs per mile data:

235/60-15 82.0 773
225/60-15 80.5 787
225/55-16 80.9 783
225/60-16 83.7 757

So in theory at least, although the 225/55-16 is the closest match, its still a fair bit off so perhaps the best solution is to stay with my 15" wheels and use the easily available 225/60 tyres to save buying five new 16" alloys and just put up with the innacurate speedo.

Who knows, one day someone (like JDHT for instance) may find a suitable supply of 235/60-15 tyres?
Pop


Tyre bargain - too good to be true?

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:00 pm
by dhdove
Pop
Why not fit these.......
http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/sse/select.php?ID=2016
Pirelli P600, 235 60 15 R, W rated, set of four £100 per corner (plus VAT).
Fitted at your home I believe........
As I have said previously, when it comes to tyres, saving a few quid here or there is counter productive compared to the life of the tyres, annual mileage, spec., safety etc. 8)
DH Dove


Tyre bargain - too good to be true?

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:27 pm
by ptjs1
Pop,

From a personal view, I think that 16" wheels look better but I also think that lattice alloys look better on the pre-facelift cars. So why not go for the Jaguar 16" lattice alloys (made by Fondmetal, I think) with 225/55 P6000s? I think that would be a great combination.

Also, it won't be the JDHT who re-introduce tyres. The JDHT don't source or market parts. It's Jaguar Classic Parts who do that. There just happens to be a link from the JDHT website to the Jaguar Classic Parts online ordering system, which I think is why people assume that it's JDHT sourcing parts.

Jaguar Classic Parts have been talking to us recently about they can understand the latent demand for obsolete parts. However, I suspect that they will not get involved in tyres because of how the tyre market works with external suppliers. I'll mention it to them though, next time I talk to them. You never know..

Paul


Tyre bargain - too good to be true?

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:30 pm
by dhdove
Lattice alloys........cleaning.......... :cry:
DH Dove


Tyre bargain - too good to be true?

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:21 pm
by MARKPEARSON
dh has a good point i like my wipe clean 5 spokes and p6000 look right on them