Page 1 of 1
Gearshift handle
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:42 am
by poprivet
The later pre-facelifts had lots of beautiful elm wood around the dash but I always thought the black gearshift handle looked out of place. I know you can buy wood ones, but they seemed a lot of money so I thought I would have a go at modifying it myself. The result is a good match and the finish has lasted perfectly for two years now. After rubbing down the original plastic two-part handle and de-greasing, it was spray primed in white. Two Humbrol enamel paint pots, No 9 (brown) and No 7 (gloss cream) were bought and applied using fine artists brushes in a swirl pattern so the paint colours emulated the existing wood.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/ ... 1Small.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/ ... 2Small.jpg
Gearshift handle
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:51 pm
by JulesJag
Hi Pop,
Looks great !
Julian
Gearshift handle
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:29 pm
by ng4xjs
Pop
So that's "buy one get one free" then.
Looks nice.
Gearshift handle
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:52 pm
by Martin
Pop - looks good. There are almost always similar items for sale on ebay.
Try this one for example.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-JAGUAR-XJ6-XJ ... dZViewItem
Martin
Gearshift handle
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:07 pm
by poprivet
True, but cost is already around £20 mark. Im not rich/daft enough to spend anything like that on a small piece of wood

Gearshift handle
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:25 pm
by Martin
Me neither - I actually like the standard black one. If I was going to change it I'd probably DIY it like you.
Gearshift handle
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:40 pm
by poprivet
I'll make you one for a tenner, matched to your particular shade of wood
Pop
Gearshift handle
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:15 am
by henry
Pop
if you are geared up to do this then you could have a nice little earner as a sideline
The ebay item that Martin identified comes from a guy who obviously has a nice little sideline in selling turned and highly polished wooden knobs and bits for cars ( mainly jaguar) on ebay he sold over £600 in the last two weeks at prices ranging up to £51 for a gearnob. could be an interesting way of helping to funding your classic car activities
Henry