Tyre pressure

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

Michael-Pinner

Member
Posts:19
Joined:Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:32 pm
Tyre pressure

Postby Michael-Pinner » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi,

I'm getting a lot of conflicting views on tyre pressure.

What are your thoughts on correct tyre pressure for my 3.6 XJ-S, front and rear.... please and thank you.

and for a bonus point why is the spell checker telling I have spelt 'tyre' wrongly..... ?

Michael

paulfrost88960

Member
Posts:68
Joined:Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Tyre pressure

Postby paulfrost88960 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi Michael. I have had the same issues, but ulike some cars it doean't seem to make a whole lot of difference. (of course someone more knowledgeable will soon be on to put me right if that isn't the case.) I have had my 3.6 only 3 weeks and have just had all the tyres replaced so happy to accept that i'm a novice here. However, when i first picked up the car,the previous owner had run it on 33 front and 36 rear for many years. I checked online and found it should be 33 front and 38 rear. (can't remember where online though!). Halfords said there guide says 33 all round which is what they put on the new tyres when they fitted them. This seems ok. However, when i finally got round to checking the original handbook, it says 34 front and 36 rear.............but the interesting part is that it also says that "you can reduce the figures by 8psi per tyre if you don't continously drive at more than 100mph". They say this may make the ride more comfortable! I'm sure it would, up to a point, but 8psi ? that would bring them down to 26 front and 28 rear which seems awfully low. Anyway it looks like we can adjust them to our hearts content (unless someone who understands these issues better than me (and that could be an educated babboon!) tells us otherwise.

paulfrost88960

Member
Posts:68
Joined:Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Tyre pressure

Postby paulfrost88960 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:22 pm

Oh, and for the bouns point; that'll be american spell checker!

paulfrost88960

Member
Posts:68
Joined:Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Tyre pressure

Postby paulfrost88960 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Which would be clearly better than the one i used!

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Tyre pressure

Postby davidr » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:47 pm

I run mine at 28psi all round. If I intended to go over the ton then I'd put more pressure in but then I need my licence! I find 28psi best for comfort.

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Tyre pressure

Postby ptjs1 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:26 pm

Paul,

As you're now running 225/60 (albeit on 15" rims) , I'd be minded to run yours similar to the pressures recommended for late 4 litre cars. I run my 4 litre conv. at about 33 front and 36 rear. But then I have been doing some very high speed running overseas over the last 2 years!

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

Michael-Pinner

Member
Posts:19
Joined:Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Re: Tyre pressure

Postby Michael-Pinner » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:56 am

Oh, and for the bouns point; that'll be american spell checker!
ah of course it is....

and thanks for the advice.... I'm on 32 32 - think i will up it a little....

congrats on the new purchase..... aren't they just lovely.

Michael-Pinner

Member
Posts:19
Joined:Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Re: Tyre pressure

Postby Michael-Pinner » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:57 am

Paul,

As you're now running 225/60 (albeit on 15" rims) , I'd be minded to run yours similar to the pressures recommended for late 4 litre cars. I run my 4 litre conv. at about 33 front and 36 rear. But then I have been doing some very high speed running overseas over the last 2 years!

Paul
thanks for that.... i'll pump them up a wee bit then... happy driving.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests