Waking from an extended slumber

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

mat_stoke
Posts:4
Joined:Sun May 27, 2018 12:17 pm
Waking from an extended slumber

Postby mat_stoke » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me a little advice. My '93 facelift 4.0 (AJ6) XJS has had an extended slumber a little over 12 months but - with the weather hopefully due to improve - it is time to get her running, through an MOT, and back out onto the road.
After such a long period of not running, just attempting a start seems like a bad idea to me - I’d like to at least try to build some oil pressure first. I’m assuming that with a couple of pulled fuses/relays I should be able to disable the fuel pump/injection/ignition to I can crank on the starter motor, build a little pressure, then reverse the process and go for a start. Would appreciate your thoughts or if someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks :) :)

PaulGover

Member
Posts:824
Joined:Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location:Near Banbury, England

Re: Waking from an extended slumber

Postby PaulGover » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:13 am

If you want to spin the engine without straining the bearings, it's best to remove the spark plugs as well as cut power to the fuel system. That way you eliminate compression. If really keen, a tad of diesel oil in each cylinder to lubricate the rings.

That said, if it were mine, I'd just start it like normal, but keep my foot off the accelerator until it warmed up. Mine V12 has a habit of taking extended vacations, and it appears to start OK when it returns.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests