Of any value?
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
-
linzielegs
- Posts:1
- Joined:Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 pm
My Dad recently passed away, he owns a 1981 xjs, it's automatic and has a soft top. It is in very poor condition having been left outside and uncovered for around 10 years, it is also the home of a field mouse who sunbathes on the dash but avoids every mouse trap known to man and judging by the number of ivy vines and rust I pulled from beneath there will be significant damage under the car too. I have no intention of keeping it, I don't even know if could be restored at this point but before filing for inheritance tax wondered if someone could let me know if there is likely some value in it that I have to declare to the big mean taxman or if it would just be going to the big scrapyard in the sky.
Re: Of any value?
Hi,
I am a bit confused that you state the car is 1981 with a soft top, as the cabriolet (1st semi soft top) was not manufactured until the backend of 1982. I suspect there would have to be a great deal of investment to renovate the car due to it standing out in all weathers. For anyone to make an assessment of value they would need to see photos and maybe the vin number to check the age of the vehicle.
Regards
Alan
I am a bit confused that you state the car is 1981 with a soft top, as the cabriolet (1st semi soft top) was not manufactured until the backend of 1982. I suspect there would have to be a great deal of investment to renovate the car due to it standing out in all weathers. For anyone to make an assessment of value they would need to see photos and maybe the vin number to check the age of the vehicle.
Regards
Alan
Re: Of any value?
Hi Linzie,
Sorry for your loss.
I expect you need rid of it quickly due to the circumstances, so either ebay it collection only with a very low starting price or the get the scrappie to collect it.
But first if you could put some photos on here and a location we may be able to help with details and who knows, someone here might want it for spares.
Al
Sorry for your loss.
I expect you need rid of it quickly due to the circumstances, so either ebay it collection only with a very low starting price or the get the scrappie to collect it.
But first if you could put some photos on here and a location we may be able to help with details and who knows, someone here might want it for spares.
Al
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Of any value?
Place it here with a pic as a "Barn Find" (doesn't necessarily mean it's been found in a barn, just that it's offered for spares or restoration only):
viewforum.php?f=51
And on the JEC's Classified's website here:
https://jec.org.uk/classifieds/index.ph ... ng&id=1600
EuroJag in Darlington may want for spares -- there are other second-hand parts sites that might be interested but tell them you'd want rid to dispose of as a whole
http://www.eurojag.com/33-cars-breaking/
Don't know where you are. If it's an unsaveable overgrown hulk as your message implies then perhaps there's only engine, gearbox, diff, and axles, with possibility of dash salvageable with residual value. Engine would have to turn.
Any docs?
Over the years I've done three of these: Armstrong Siddley Lancaster, Rover 12, and a Mk I all saved from the scrappie. But costs nowadays mean that you can't make a profit even if the doner's free -- best you can do is break even
Good luck
viewforum.php?f=51
And on the JEC's Classified's website here:
https://jec.org.uk/classifieds/index.ph ... ng&id=1600
EuroJag in Darlington may want for spares -- there are other second-hand parts sites that might be interested but tell them you'd want rid to dispose of as a whole
http://www.eurojag.com/33-cars-breaking/
Don't know where you are. If it's an unsaveable overgrown hulk as your message implies then perhaps there's only engine, gearbox, diff, and axles, with possibility of dash salvageable with residual value. Engine would have to turn.
Any docs?
Over the years I've done three of these: Armstrong Siddley Lancaster, Rover 12, and a Mk I all saved from the scrappie. But costs nowadays mean that you can't make a profit even if the doner's free -- best you can do is break even
Good luck
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests
