I was looking at the tyres on my pre-HE XJS recently, since I wanted to understand more about DOT codes.
I acquired the car in 2016.
The tyres on the rear are Michelin 205/70 VR15 XDX. The DOT code is FHYT A8H X 439.
The tyres on the front are Dunlop SP Sport Super D7 205/70 VR15. The DOT code is DOT DD YT RAF 434 (with a small raised triangle at the end).
The last MOT certificate I have is dated April 1988, showing a mileage of 23,245. The current mileage is 24,135 (not been out of the garage in about 30 years).
Regarding the front, I assume the tyres were made in the 43rd week of 1994 (due to the triangle). The rear tyre DOT code suggests a date of 43rd week in 1989.
If this is true, it does not correlate with the mileage or the end of the MOT certificates. The tyres do not look to have a full depth of tread on them.
So I am a bit confused. BTW, I have no intention of driving the car on these ancient tyres - there is other work to be done before it is let out of the garage.
The other confusing issue is the build plate in the engine bay. There is no plate on either left or right door strut. A photo of the build plate is shown below.
The car number plate is 'T' reg and the V5C says first registered 1st January 1979.
The VIN ends 100813. Jaguar Heritage Trust website suggests this was made in 1978/9. In those days, was it September that indicated the Manufacturer Year split? JHDT states VIN starting 101835 were from 1979 (but I don't know which month this means).
The other issue is the Paint, Trim and Build Date in the photo. Nothing is entered for Paint and Trim data - I don't know why.
The Build Date code says 'JR'. I presume this is Year and Month codes, but how do I decode it?
I'm sure someone can shed some light on the above - I would be very grateful.
Dan
Early XJS - help with build date please
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
-
jaglover842
- Posts:38
- Joined:Wed May 18, 2016 11:37 am
1964 Mk2 3.8
1970 E-type Roadster 4.2
1979 XJS 5.3
1996 XK8 Coupe (Built 13th June 96, used as Press Car)
2010 XKR Convertible
1970 E-type Roadster 4.2
1979 XJS 5.3
1996 XK8 Coupe (Built 13th June 96, used as Press Car)
2010 XKR Convertible
Re: Early XJS - help with build date please
I would suggest that you get a certificate from Jaguar Heritage. This will give you key pieces of information from the build records of the car such as build date, colour and specification.
Here's a link to the relevant section of their website.
https://www.jaguarheritage.com/archive- ... tificates/
Regards
David
Here's a link to the relevant section of their website.
https://www.jaguarheritage.com/archive- ... tificates/
Regards
David
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Early XJS - help with build date please
Hi,I was looking at the tyres on my pre-HE XJS recently, since I wanted to understand more about DOT codes.
I acquired the car in 2016.
The tyres on the rear are Michelin 205/70 VR15 XDX. The DOT code is FHYT A8H X 439.
The tyres on the front are Dunlop SP Sport Super D7 205/70 VR15. The DOT code is DOT DD YT RAF 434 (with a small raised triangle at the end).
The last MOT certificate I have is dated April 1988, showing a mileage of 23,245. The current mileage is 24,135 (not been out of the garage in about 30 years).
Regarding the front, I assume the tyres were made in the 43rd week of 1994 (due to the triangle). The rear tyre DOT code suggests a date of 43rd week in 1989.
If this is true, it does not correlate with the mileage or the end of the MOT certificates. The tyres do not look to have a full depth of tread on them.
So I am a bit confused. BTW, I have no intention of driving the car on these ancient tyres - there is other work to be done before it is let out of the garage.
The other confusing issue is the build plate in the engine bay. There is no plate on either left or right door strut. A photo of the build plate is shown below.
IMG_3488.jpg
The car number plate is 'T' reg and the V5C says first registered 1st January 1979.
The VIN ends 100813. Jaguar Heritage Trust website suggests this was made in 1978/9. In those days, was it September that indicated the Manufacturer Year split? JHDT states VIN starting 101835 were from 1979 (but I don't know which month this means).
The other issue is the Paint, Trim and Build Date in the photo. Nothing is entered for Paint and Trim data - I don't know why.
The Build Date code says 'JR'. I presume this is Year and Month codes, but how do I decode it?
I'm sure someone can shed some light on the above - I would be very grateful.
Dan
Certainly the DOT code for the front tyres show made in 1994, so something does not look right especially if those tyres have a lot of wear. Does the internal wear of the car such as carpets and brake pedals match up to what you would expect from a low mileage car?
Have you checked out the car history online for MOTs, being on sorn and number of previous owners. As regards to vin No plates my 1986 model does not have them on the doors as it is on the right hand side under the bonnet
-
jaglover842
- Posts:38
- Joined:Wed May 18, 2016 11:37 am
Re: Early XJS - help with build date please
Yes a Heritage Certificate is an excellent starting point.
Cabriolet,
The internal wear on the carpets and interior is minimal.
There was only one previous owner, my father in-law. I first remember seeing the car in 1983.
I'll see what DVLA turns up.
I have since discovered (been informed) that the 'JR' code refers to a build date of September 1978.
There is still a tape in the tape cassette player, but the walls of the garage are so close I cannot open the doors wide to get to it!
Thanks
Dan
Cabriolet,
The internal wear on the carpets and interior is minimal.
There was only one previous owner, my father in-law. I first remember seeing the car in 1983.
I'll see what DVLA turns up.
I have since discovered (been informed) that the 'JR' code refers to a build date of September 1978.
There is still a tape in the tape cassette player, but the walls of the garage are so close I cannot open the doors wide to get to it!
Thanks
Dan
1964 Mk2 3.8
1970 E-type Roadster 4.2
1979 XJS 5.3
1996 XK8 Coupe (Built 13th June 96, used as Press Car)
2010 XKR Convertible
1970 E-type Roadster 4.2
1979 XJS 5.3
1996 XK8 Coupe (Built 13th June 96, used as Press Car)
2010 XKR Convertible
Re: Early XJS - help with build date please
Hi Dan,
Congrats on owning a nice early Pre-HE car!
As you've identified, the car was built in Sep 78. I'm sure that a Heritage certificate will confirm the build and despatch dates etc.
As regards the tyre tread discrepancy, I suspect it's quite likely that that at some point the rear tyres needed replacing (perhaps to move or drive the car?) either due to mileage or deterioration, and that 2 second-hand Michelin tyres were fitted, reflecting both the previous tyre wear and 90s date.
It would be great to see some pics of the car!
Cheers
Paul
Congrats on owning a nice early Pre-HE car!
As you've identified, the car was built in Sep 78. I'm sure that a Heritage certificate will confirm the build and despatch dates etc.
As regards the tyre tread discrepancy, I suspect it's quite likely that that at some point the rear tyres needed replacing (perhaps to move or drive the car?) either due to mileage or deterioration, and that 2 second-hand Michelin tyres were fitted, reflecting both the previous tyre wear and 90s date.
It would be great to see some pics of the car!
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

