Page 1 of 1
MOT today and finding a fellow member
Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:12 pm
by Mackie
Had the MOT today, handbrake needed sorting for a pass, but all good and sorted for a year.
Also ran into another member’s facelift convertible XJS “SGO” with this rather spiffy badge on the grill. Didn’t get to meet the owner.

Re: MOT today and finding a fellow member
Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 pm
by davidr
Good news that the old girl passed! What was the handbrake issue?
Re: MOT today and finding a fellow member
Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:20 pm
by Mackie
“Rear parking brake recording little or no effort.”
Re: MOT today and finding a fellow member
Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:41 pm
by davidr
Interesting. The tester at the last MOT remarked "F*** me! A Jag handbrake that works properly!"
I wonder what happened in the meantime. And how did you fix it?
Re: MOT today and finding a fellow member
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:50 am
by Mackie
I didn’t. The Jag Workshop fixed it when it flagged up on their MOT. It does feel tighter now.
Re: MOT today and finding a fellow member
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:11 pm
by poprivet
It might be worth finding what exactly they did. The suspicious in me thinks they just adjusted the cable when it's the self adjusting mechanism that often siezes.
Set up correctly these brakes can work well but if not maintained with care expect it to spit out burnt pads very soon.
That mechanism won't be siezed. I rebuilt them last year (as detailed in another thread) as part of the complete refurb of the IRS. They were in good condition and properly greased and the self adjusters were tested. It may be that the cable did need to be adjusted!
If anyone's workmanship is at question here it is mine!
Re: MOT today and finding a fellow member
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:04 pm
by Mackie
It does concern me if these Jag specialists are being called into question, because I often have to rely on their honesty and integrity because I simply do not have the knowledge to know these thing myself.
I would hate to think being a not mechanically savvy Jag owner means I’m an easy target for fleecing.
Re: MOT today and finding a fellow member
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:11 pm
by BigCatXJS
I would hate to think being a not mechanically savvy Jag owner means I’m an easy target for fleecing.
Not by default. I always assume positive intent until experience or potentially somone ele's experience proves otherwise. If there are concerns you can always ask them to list what exactly they are going to do, check with another specialist or on here for due dilligence around the approximate costs, and then agree a price or budget in advance. For major works its impossible to agree a fixed price in advance but its reasonable to be consulted on any extra costs prior to actually incuring them. Good comms and transparency are key.
I have heard of "open cheque book" experiences in the past - not particularly fair unless agreed in advance.
Cheers, Rich