Younger Members

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent
Re: Younger Members

Postby J44EAG » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:51 pm

I only had cause to join the JEC...when I was "young" at an age of 47. That was thirteen years ago and use of a computer was not that common. In fact it was a rarity. Things have changed drastically since those days.

I had a friend and a couple of customers who owned Jags. It is doubtful that I would have heard of the JEC had I not bumped into them at that time. My internet link hadn`t been established at that time. One of those acquaintances was a JEC member and encouraged me to join. I picked up the phone, spoke to Graham and the rest is history. The reason I joined was that I owned my first S-type and I needed technical help. In actual fact, despite the car being six years old, there was no technical back up for the model. Most were still dealer serviced and I was almost breaking new ground. I met John Spiller who was X-type Co-ordinator to discuss the shortfall. One moment I couldn`t spell "Co-ordinator", the next moment I were one!

People will only join a Club or Society if they have reason to do so. Younger elements will probably lease their cars and servicing be carried out as part of the package. The car is probably regarded just as a tool to do a job. Throw it back at the end of the lease and get another. There is no real interest in the marque. If I were to ask my youngest daughter with a Merc 180 NHS lease car if she would join a Merc Club, she would laugh and say it is un-necessary. May be different if she owned the car, but I doubt it.

Clubs exist for those with some enthusiasm for a particular marque. Those who have the enthusiasm might join. Those without the vital spark, won`t. We can`t do much more that publicize the Club and its virtues. After that, its up to the individual. As regards what facilities are available, well, thats a generic evolutionary process generated by ourselves. We will put into place what lights our candle at the appropriate point in time. We can watch the general trends on the internet and look at what other car Clubs produce. Then we pick and choose according to what we see as needed and whether we have the funds to be able to progress further.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

cabriolet

Member
Posts:159
Joined:Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm
Location:York

Re: Younger Members

Postby cabriolet » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi,
I have only been a member for about 6 months and I already thinking what am I getting for my annual fee of £50. It does not stop there, as to be involved in people near me I have to pay another membership fee of £15. I know I get a monthly magazine but at best my model has at best a 3/4 page coverage. If I was not a member I could still look at the forem Q&As to gain some knowledge + at classic car shows I can park near the club stand and still have a rapport with fellow Jag owners. I am a member of the XJS club and the Soft club that I do not have to pay a membership fee. I am not against paying a fee if there there is something special, so I think the club has to have some radical thinking about the future, and stop thinking about upsetting the traditionalist. I do not have the answer but my view of the club is that it is stuck in a time warp.
Alan

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Younger Members

Postby J44EAG » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:30 pm

OK. Whats your solution?

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

cabriolet

Member
Posts:159
Joined:Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm
Location:York

Re: Younger Members

Postby cabriolet » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi Mike,
Did you not read my last sentence? Earlier messages about accommodation used at events that only suited people of 70 > dead and not families was swept under the carpet. My wife would not attend a club gathering unless there is something to interest her, and this is the same with a family taking kids. Yes you can try and do this at a local level but collectively as the main part of an organisation you carry more clout to do better deals. I feel the older members would be against family outings.
Alan

User avatar
Zennan101
Posts:524
Joined:Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:40 pm
Location:South Devon - UK

Re: Younger Members

Postby Zennan101 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi Mike K,

I don’t think there is a specific solution as such but I can see that the benefits of membership need to extend to the entire membership. The club will always need new members from both the ‘Older’ and ‘Younger’ categories and both these groups need to see a ‘value’ in joining. For some this may be the ‘get togethers’. For others real discounts for items such as tyres and insurance. Equally valid reasons for joining.

Rod
Ex 2010 XF 3.0 Luxury Diesel
Ex 2004 XK8 Coupe

cabriolet

Member
Posts:159
Joined:Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm
Location:York

Re: Younger Members

Postby cabriolet » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Hi,
To help bring new members in maybe the club could offer new buyers free or reduced membership for 1 year. (Sign up in the 1st month) I am sure Jaguar sales would see it as a positive to giving their customers a technical backup. You will not retain all but I am sure it will capture a few.
Alan

User avatar
jBlackwell

Site Admin
Posts:1055
Joined:Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 pm
Location:Cwmbran

Re: Younger Members

Postby jBlackwell » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi all,
There is a lot to assimilate in this post in particular the last few comments. The first instance Mike is right, if anyone has ideas on things that could/would help boost our reach, please by all means get in touch. I will just say, these conversations do take place day in, day out and take work, etc..... Not to say we have thought of everything.

New Jaguar sales buyers. Sadly, although we are trying, Jaguar core business (they are the people that sell the new Jaguars) see no value in helping the Club, either promoting us, adding leaflets to their sales brochures, etc..... we would like a better relationship with them, but apart from the odd dealership, currently we hit a brick wall. Again, we keep working on this.

We offer a wide range of benefits, some insurance deals, technical info, magazine, saving money on events (Silverstone Classic), warranties....... it is a long list, some appeal to some, others not so. I often say, for your membership we send you a magazine (£50 for a years subscription is not bad value), the rest is about what you would like to get out of the Club.

We do need to communicate this message clearer to all our members, but also understand that there are different approaches to Club life. Like you, my family are not interested in coming along to events. But similar to the Jaguar dealerships, the things we could look at offering do not see a value in a car Club such as ours. We have had conversations with a number of theme parks for example, but they have either not grasped the concept or have not made a offer which is of value to the member. We are constantly looking and exploring, but in a competitive world, someone wants something in it for them. So for a theme park to offer us a good deal, we need to guarantee a certain number of people to turn up, if not, who foots the bill? This is when they dont really need to offer us anything, they will be busy regardless (This is only one example BTW).

How do we engage with the whole family of the Jaguar owner, regardless of age, but in the case of the younger owner who I promise you I can relate to, it is a challenge.

Kind Regards

James Blackwell
Assistant General Manager

cabriolet

Member
Posts:159
Joined:Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm
Location:York

Re: Younger Members

Postby cabriolet » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:52 pm

I knew I should have bought an Escort “hot” hatch.

User avatar
jBlackwell

Site Admin
Posts:1055
Joined:Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 pm
Location:Cwmbran

Re: Younger Members

Postby jBlackwell » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:05 pm

I knew I should have bought an Escort “hot” hatch.
Haa haa!!

In all fairness I was at a meeting the other week, where even the MX-5 owners Club were discussing the difficulties they have attracting younger members.

Discussion around this is healthy, we dont always think of everything, sometimes we need a kick and other times we try with no results. We occasionally get a gem that we had not thought of.

More of a Pug fan myself, the 205GTI is an all time classic.

James
James

2008 XF 4.2 ltr SV8.
Planet X Pro Carbon.
Planet X EC-130.

vipervisual
Posts:45
Joined:Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Re: Younger Members

Postby vipervisual » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:52 pm

Hello ALL!
I'm 31 and have just purchased my first XJ-S in December. Wanted one since I was a little boy so finally decided to go for it. My car has 67000 miles on the clock with a years MOT. I think I was lucky and got it for an affordable price, way under 5k. However, the financial aspect after purchase has been a stretch yes. Not talking about running costs, more when things go wrong. Since December it was in the garage with my mechanic until today.

Still can't diagnose the problem. And I do really need guidance and help. Perhaps one of you has had the same issue.
I cant really explain the problem, I've previously posted about it.

Anyway NO REGRETS, I'm working just to pay the parts and mechanics bill!
Joy to drive. Lets just see.
Attachments
IMG_5727.JPG
IMG_6164.jpg

User avatar
franrca

Member
Posts:243
Joined:Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 pm
Location:Assuming the position...in North Essex

Re: Younger Members

Postby franrca » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi James

Thanks for taking the time to respond and give some feedback.

My original point was that rather than attracting NEW young members, the club hasn't historically catered for EXISTING young members and has actively discriminated against younger families with their constant and irritating use of Warner hotels when hosting car events.

Any comment?

thanks

Richard
Last edited by franrca on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal

cabriolet

Member
Posts:159
Joined:Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm
Location:York

Re: Younger Members

Postby cabriolet » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 pm

Lost in translation. I have always tried to buy British so the Pug 205 is a no no. ideally if I could afford one a Cortina Lotus would be my choice. When bikes were my thing it was always a Triumph.
Alan

cabriolet

Member
Posts:159
Joined:Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm
Location:York

Re: Younger Members

Postby cabriolet » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:01 am

Hi Vipervisual,
I have seen your previous post of your car issues somewhere before, so as you are still asking for help where do I look for it. I think this conversation has strayed from the initial query about Warner Hotels.
Alan

User avatar
jBlackwell

Site Admin
Posts:1055
Joined:Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 pm
Location:Cwmbran

Re: Younger Members

Postby jBlackwell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am

My original point was that rather than attracting NEW young members, the club hasn't historically catered for EXISTING young members and has actively discriminated against younger families with their constant and irritating use of Warner hotels when hosting car events.
Hi Franca,
I hope my previous reply had in some way covered it. Like you I have a family and like you I feel discriminated against when it comes to our events and I sit on the events committee. I have often remarked that as a family of 5 there is no way I could attend our events, but I am one voice out of 10. Add it up, days fuel for a 150 mile trip in a Jag (£70), Food for 5 (£30 if you make your own picnic), Entrance into the event (£10), purchases on the day (£30/£40??), before long without realising you are closing in on £200 for a day out, to a field of cars........ Like you I would like it to change, and quickly.

There are a number of options as I see it:
  • A group of like minded family focused members get together and work out an event for families.
  • Have a look at next years event and the similar group create a proposal that works for families.
  • Someone who is on the events committee takes the idea and makes it happen.
  • *Please add other thoughts and suggestions
Help and a voice is needed, sadly I can only do so much. I agree we need to do more, how we go about it, I need help. Always happy to discuss ways forward, introduce where I can, help where I can.

Regards

James

User avatar
jBlackwell

Site Admin
Posts:1055
Joined:Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 pm
Location:Cwmbran

Re: Younger Members

Postby jBlackwell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:44 am

Lost in translation. I have always tried to buy British so the Pug 205 is a no no. ideally if I could afford one a Cortina Lotus would be my choice. When bikes were my thing it was always a Triumph.
Alan
Always bought British where I could, but my budgets have generally made me far more practical. The Escort RS was always a "Want", I think beer and women got in the way of actually bothering to save money for one though. My favourite car I ever owned so far was my Range Rover, it was a beast. Motor bike, Triumph, with you on that one, would be very tempted by an Italian mistress though, love Ducati.

James


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests