Took the XJ-S to Cheltenham for the Cricket and Classic Car event...

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

SimonR

Member
Posts:578
Joined:Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm
Took the XJ-S to Cheltenham for the Cricket and Classic Car event...

Postby SimonR » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:35 pm

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd post about my latest XJ-S adventures as I've had an eventful couple of days!

You may have seen the Lord Taverner's Classic Car and Cricket advertised in the club events subforum. We're fans of both things so booked tickets. This was going to be quite an adventure because since I've had the car it's not done a journey of more than about 30 miles, so relying on it for 155 miles across the country from Cambridge to Cheltenham with the three of us onboard in rush hour the night before, was a big step.

I spent Tuesday cleaning the car and making it look as good as possible. The newly refurbished wheels made such a difference to the external appearance and my decision to have it ceramic coated made cleaning all the dust off it an absolute breeze. I had also found my late '80's car sticker and affixed it to the rear window, in the absence of a dealer sticker:

Image

With a quick check of fluid levels and tyre pressures, we strapped the three year old into her car seat in the back of the XJ-S and left Cambridge at 6pm. Our B&B (Clematis House in Cheltenham - I'd highly recommend it if you're in the area) shut their doors at 9pm so a brisk drive was required - exactly what the XJ-S was designed for! The Sat Nav chose A14 - M6 - M42 - M5 and miraculously, there were no delays. We arrived at 8:50pm after a very relaxing drive on the speed limit the whole way, and the car returned 30.5 mpg. Result.

The weather forecast wasn't promising for the following day with rain likely for most of it - and when we woke up, the Jag was soaked. It was in good company though:

Image

Sadly, the cricket match had to be cancelled due to the weather, but the classic car show went ahead with about half of the participants present. There were cars from the 1930's to the 2000's, and plenty of Jaguars to feast the eye on:

Image

Image

Cars were being judged by none other than Derek Matthewson of Bangers and Cash - nice to meet a TV celebrity and I quite like the guy, but he's by no means a fan of the XJ-S so even though I had a good chat with him and showed him around the car, I knew he'd never choose an XJ-S for a prize when there were so many other options:

Image

And so it was - in the 1970 - 1989 category, all the awards went to the Aston Martins - they were indeed beautiful cars. We left just after 4 pm and chose a cross-country route home, taking in the Cotswolds and ending up on the A45 and A14, back to Cambridge. It was a lovely winding drive home, but I began to notice a slight lack of power from the car's engine. It was difficult to put my finger on it, but I seemed to need to change down for relatively small inclines, and it just wasn't accelerating as it should. Without anything concrete to go on, I pressed on, only eventually stopping in Cambridge to buy some supplies for the following day. On returning to the car, it started up fine and then cut out almost immediately, and refused to re-start. A few checks left me scratching my head. I emptied the boot and disconnected the fuel line at the filter. It was clearly still under pressure so I ruled out the fuel pump, and I could also feel it running when cranking the engine. I removed a spark plug and could see a strong spark - hmm. A call to the RAC ensued and within an hour a Patrolman arrived in his van - great service. He was really good and we went through a series of checks - only to find out that there was no fuel pressure in the engine bay. A more thorough investigation of the pump revealed that although it was appearing to work, it was in fact jammed.

The solution was to fit a new pump - I had a spare so he gave me a lift home, but try as I might I couldn't find it! D'oh! In the end, we cobbled together an MG Maestro EFi fuel pump that I had in my spares collection:

Image

Fuel pressure was restored, and the car once again ran like a dream, albeit the pump was leaking slightly. The advice I was given by the RAC man was to get it back home as quickly as legally possible and then fit the proper Jaguar pump ASAP. Challenge accepted! The car's performance was restored and once out of the City limits on onto the A14, I put my foot down and the Jag roared home in a very pleasing way. I eventually got it back in my garage at about midnight.

Quite the adventure!

The story finishes today as I found my spare XJ-S pump and fitted it, only to find that it leaks like a sieve! I'll have to buy another one and hopefully get the car ready to attend the Barrington classic car meet tomorrow evening. The joys of classic car ownership...

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Took the XJ-S to Cheltenham for the Cricket and Classic Car event...

Postby poprivet » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:39 am

Nice trip Simon, I can't remember from your restoration project, but have you made sure there is the modified strainer in the swirl pot and that it's free of debris?

SimonR

Member
Posts:578
Joined:Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: Took the XJ-S to Cheltenham for the Cricket and Classic Car event...

Postby SimonR » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:06 pm

Hi Alan - that's one thing I love about classic cars - you carry on in ignorance until someone says something like the above and it opens a whole other avenue of expense and intrigue!! :lol: Nope - I don't think anything's been done to the swirlpot during the car's lifetime, what's needed?!

In better news, I've sourced and fitted a proper fuel pump and the car is now a lot happier. I'd noticed in the last few weeks that it was having a little bit of difficulty starting, and it's clearly getting enough fuel now.

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Took the XJ-S to Cheltenham for the Cricket and Classic Car event...

Postby poprivet » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:01 am

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... ilter.html

CBC5649 showing out of stock but you may already have it. The original strainers were much thinner and had a habit of being sucked so that the closed end of the strainer blocked the pipe. Quite easy to check/clean, pinch off the hoses feeding the surge tank and remove the ring holding the pipe. The strainer is just a push fit on the pipe. Of course removing the swirl pot completely and getting any crud out is a better option - mission creep again!

The subject is mentioned in Kirbys 'book' but is a bit hidden, basically the strainer protects the pump and the main filter protects the injectors. There is also a theory that as the engine runs lean when starved of fuel this also is why exhaust manifolds crack.

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Took the XJ-S to Cheltenham for the Cricket and Classic Car event...

Postby davidr » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:30 pm

We did an article on how to dismantle and clean out the swirl pot back in August 2018 that you may find useful. Page 22
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Took the XJ-S to Cheltenham for the Cricket and Classic Car event...

Postby poprivet » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:27 am

Locating it wasn't easy. I'm not sure if this link works?

https://jec.org.uk/magazine/vol-34-no-08

I note that the exploded diagram shows the original thin strainer and David's photo the modified wider one. That's the one to have if available.

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Took the XJ-S to Cheltenham for the Cricket and Classic Car event...

Postby davidr » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:52 pm

Thanks Pop - that does work - good move!

SimonR

Member
Posts:578
Joined:Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: Took the XJ-S to Cheltenham for the Cricket and Classic Car event...

Postby SimonR » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:19 pm

Many thanks both, especially to you, Alan - sorry it's taken me a while to see this and get back to you. I'll have a look at this this winter, whilst the car is off the road.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests