Hi All
I am slowly getting to know my recently purchased car and helping tackle a few small jobs on it. I recently removed the front undertray to gain access to the coolant hose at the bottom of the radiator (nearside) to drain the coolant and removed the instrument cluster to replace the illumination lights with LED ones.
One issue that came up on both jobs was how to work out the specification of any fastenings that require replacing. For instance, on the undertray, several of the 11 screws securing it to the bodywork were missing. Is there any reference material that specifies what fastenings were used where on the car? I measured the existing screws - but even they varied in size so I am not sure which were original and which were slightly incorrect replacements used by previous people who have worked on the car. Similarly, when I removed the three screws securing the black panelling around the instrument cluster, I noticed that the screw heads were unpainted (grey) - I know that someone has been here before because there is a repair to the printed circuit flexible sheet - and wondered if the original screws were black to match the black panelling?
Anyway, I know that some might find my interest in this unnecessary - no problem. However, I have a string sense of being the custodian of this car that will eventually be passed on to someone else and I gain a big sense of satisfaction from making sure that when I complete any job that I am doing on the car, it is in at least as good a state of originality as when I started the job.
So - does anyone know where I can easily find the specifications of the fastenings that exist throughout the car?
Thanks
Peter
Nerd alert - fastenings
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
1990 XJ-S HE V12 Coupe, 1989 (I think) Daimler Double Six V12 HE Engine - taking apart and rebuilding to learn about engines in detail - finally!
Re: Nerd alert - fastenings
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/
Is quite handy for part identification, there is also a printed parts catalogue which although expensive can help.
Fastenings are usually difficult to identify and most are now unavailable, I guess many of us just use whatever is available and suitable.
Is quite handy for part identification, there is also a printed parts catalogue which although expensive can help.
Fastenings are usually difficult to identify and most are now unavailable, I guess many of us just use whatever is available and suitable.
Re: Nerd alert - fastenings
Peter,
As you'll know from the Jaguar parts website, many of the small fittings are NLA. But some can still be found.
So, you'll see that one of the small mount screws of the undertray, for which you need 5, can be bought from Jaguar. So if you bought one for £2, you can at least establish the right spec for that self-tapper.
Good luck
Paul
As you'll know from the Jaguar parts website, many of the small fittings are NLA. But some can still be found.
So, you'll see that one of the small mount screws of the undertray, for which you need 5, can be bought from Jaguar. So if you bought one for £2, you can at least establish the right spec for that self-tapper.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Nerd alert - fastenings
Hi PopRivet and Paul
Thanks for the replies - food for thought. I tried to use the website link to find an undertray / fittings for an XJ-S - but despite selecting XJ-S as a model, when I went the search bar and put in undertray I ended up with undertrays for lots of Jaguars and Landrovers - but not for the XJ-S. Is there something that I am missing or is the functionality of the website a bit limited?
Thanks
Peter
Thanks for the replies - food for thought. I tried to use the website link to find an undertray / fittings for an XJ-S - but despite selecting XJ-S as a model, when I went the search bar and put in undertray I ended up with undertrays for lots of Jaguars and Landrovers - but not for the XJ-S. Is there something that I am missing or is the functionality of the website a bit limited?
Thanks
Peter
1990 XJ-S HE V12 Coupe, 1989 (I think) Daimler Double Six V12 HE Engine - taking apart and rebuilding to learn about engines in detail - finally!
Re: Nerd alert - fastenings

The parts catalogue is easier to navigate! The undertray and spoiler have recently been made available I believe, there was something in the JEC magazine. If you let us know what fastener you require we will see if we can find a part number.
Re: Nerd alert - fastenings
Peter,
The site is incredibly comprehensive but you have to practise using it. Don't bother using the Search function for anything other than putting in a precise part number. Seriously, play around on the site every day until you know where to find every part of the XJS, as the location of some bits is not necessarily intuitive. I've been using the site for 17+ years and I still have to think carefully about where some parts are identified!
The site should be the absolute start point for any XJS owner whenever they are purchasing a part for the car. Even if it's just to ensure that you get the correct part number. Do not trust any other parts supplier to get the correct numbers.
So, for example, on your undertray, you would select XJS, and then the first of the 2 XJS models, as yours is a pre-facelift car. Then go to "Exterior Fittings and Sunroof", then select "Body Trim and Fixtures", then select "Spoiler and Undertray - Front".
Good luck
Paul
The site is incredibly comprehensive but you have to practise using it. Don't bother using the Search function for anything other than putting in a precise part number. Seriously, play around on the site every day until you know where to find every part of the XJS, as the location of some bits is not necessarily intuitive. I've been using the site for 17+ years and I still have to think carefully about where some parts are identified!
The site should be the absolute start point for any XJS owner whenever they are purchasing a part for the car. Even if it's just to ensure that you get the correct part number. Do not trust any other parts supplier to get the correct numbers.
So, for example, on your undertray, you would select XJS, and then the first of the 2 XJS models, as yours is a pre-facelift car. Then go to "Exterior Fittings and Sunroof", then select "Body Trim and Fixtures", then select "Spoiler and Undertray - Front".
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Nerd alert - fastenings
Hi Guys
Wow - so that’s how it works! Thanks for helping me out - I will indeed use this as my “go to” reference source for parts - and practice / hone my skills at getting part numbers.
I really appreciate the patience that you are showing me as a newbie - I love the car and just want to look after it as best as I can.
Peter
Wow - so that’s how it works! Thanks for helping me out - I will indeed use this as my “go to” reference source for parts - and practice / hone my skills at getting part numbers.
I really appreciate the patience that you are showing me as a newbie - I love the car and just want to look after it as best as I can.
Peter
1990 XJ-S HE V12 Coupe, 1989 (I think) Daimler Double Six V12 HE Engine - taking apart and rebuilding to learn about engines in detail - finally!
Re: Nerd alert - fastenings
Peter - SNG Barratt do a paper parts catalogue based on the Jaguar drawings. It sometimes disagrees with the Jaguar website but it's a quick reference source and can help you find the right section which isn't always obvious or logical!
The good news is that the SNGB parts book is free via their website.
You'll find that many of the basic fastenings are NA from Jaguar but SNGB usually have an alternative on their website, often with a photo
The good news is that the SNGB parts book is free via their website.
You'll find that many of the basic fastenings are NA from Jaguar but SNGB usually have an alternative on their website, often with a photo
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Nerd alert - fastenings
David
Thanks for that - I’ll take a look at that. I’m just at the start of my journey of finding my way around the world of aintaining and enjoying these lovely cars!
Peter
Thanks for that - I’ll take a look at that. I’m just at the start of my journey of finding my way around the world of aintaining and enjoying these lovely cars!
Peter
1990 XJ-S HE V12 Coupe, 1989 (I think) Daimler Double Six V12 HE Engine - taking apart and rebuilding to learn about engines in detail - finally!
Re: Nerd alert - fastenings
Also:
https://www.namrick.co.uk/
and:
https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/
In case they haven't been mentioned.
https://www.namrick.co.uk/
and:
https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/
In case they haven't been mentioned.
Re: Nerd alert - fastenings
As an aside, in my experience the fastenings for the undertray get replaced with bigger ones as the fixing holes in the body panels rust out, so it's possible the book fittings will no longer work.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 161 guests

