XJS 4.0l Convertible.

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

petermallett308

Member
Posts:10
Joined:Tue May 25, 2021 11:17 am
Location:Leighton Buzzard
Contact:
XJS 4.0l Convertible.

Postby petermallett308 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:06 pm

I bought my 1992 4.0l XJS Convertible last year, not being familiar with the cars I didn't really notice the problems which we discovered when we decided to refurbish it. I was aware of the lower front wing corrosion but when I threw it at Ken Clarke Motorsport, we discovered all sorts of problems which resulted in procuring a new front subframe (from the USA), new brakes and discs all round, new adjustable shock absorbers and springs, and the necessary replacement panels for the front wings. All at a pretty substantial cost, but having done all of this I now have a great car which with a couple of minor points, has recently taken me to Le Mans and back. We covered 860 miles at 24 mpg and it didn't miss a beat. Also although the engine was at 106.k miles it didn't use a drop of oil. To cap it all I spent a lot of time at the Porsche Curves camp site being asked questions about the car. :D

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: XJS 4.0l Convertible.

Postby davidr » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:38 pm

Hi Peter - I'm glad you persevered and now have a car you enjoy. Yours sounds like an interesting story - is there any chance you'd write it up for the magazine?
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

petermallett308

Member
Posts:10
Joined:Tue May 25, 2021 11:17 am
Location:Leighton Buzzard
Contact:

Re: XJS 4.0l Convertible.

Postby petermallett308 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:07 pm

Hi David, I'll try to put something together.

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: XJS 4.0l Convertible.

Postby davidr » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:53 pm

Thanks Peter - that would be brilliant. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. As a suggestion, tell us what drew you to the car in the first place, the issues you've had to overcome and your impressions of the car as a first-time owner of an XJS. The story of your trip to Le Mans would also be good. If you have pictures that would be great as it helps paint the scene.
Send me a Word document and some photos and we do the rest!
Let me know if you need any help
all the best
David


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests