Hello All
Unfortunately I have misplaced or lost my auxiliary/extra air valve control screw.
The part no. Of the air valve, which includes the screw is EAC 2773, that was fitted, I believe to the XJS HE.
To buy a replacement valve would be quite expensive , when all I require is
sufficient information for me to buy or make a replacement screw.
Any assistance would be very much appreciated
Kind Regards
R Whittington
Auxiliary/ Extra air valve
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: Auxiliary/ Extra air valve
Hi Richard - I have an AAV that I cut up for an autopsy and subsequent magazine article that we published in August 2018. Why? Well if you leave a bloke alone with a disc cutter its inevitable!
Here are the parts that I cut up. I have a thread repair kit which as well as its obvious job is also very useful for working out a mystery thread. This kit is not very expensive and its one of the most useful things in my workshop. The idle screw has a peculiar thread. Its very close to 1/2" UNC but binds up after a few turns. Its closer to M12 x 1.75 but again binds up after a few turns so I'm not sure what it is. So I fear I've not helped you much. Of course ,what I do have is a spare idle screw and you're welcome to that if you send me your address. You can either pm me here or my contact details are in the masthead of the XJS section in the magazine
Here are the parts that I cut up. I have a thread repair kit which as well as its obvious job is also very useful for working out a mystery thread. This kit is not very expensive and its one of the most useful things in my workshop. The idle screw has a peculiar thread. Its very close to 1/2" UNC but binds up after a few turns. Its closer to M12 x 1.75 but again binds up after a few turns so I'm not sure what it is. So I fear I've not helped you much. Of course ,what I do have is a spare idle screw and you're welcome to that if you send me your address. You can either pm me here or my contact details are in the masthead of the XJS section in the magazine
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Auxiliary/ Extra air valve
According to Kirby Palm's book
What's really annoying is I had a broken one I could have measured sitting on the shelf and only threw it out late last year.
On this author’s ’83 (as well as in the photo), the adjuster is a 12mm thread with a head barely larger than the threads, so
the head requires a 13mm socket to fit. However, Craig Sawyers reports that later versions (including replacement
valves to fit earlier cars) use a metric threaded adjuster with a much larger head: “The old one is indeed metric, M12,
but metric fine thread. It is however a special, with a 13mm AF head (standard is 19mm AF). New valve 12mm over
the threads, 1.75mm thread pitch and 19mm AF. That is a standard metric M12 bolt. Truly huge by comparison.
Jag/Lucas have clearly economised by using a standard M12 coarse thread bolt with the standard head. Adjustment
sensitivity with the coarse thread is just fine.”
What's really annoying is I had a broken one I could have measured sitting on the shelf and only threw it out late last year.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: Auxiliary/ Extra air valve
I threw an old one out last month!
-
richard.whittington

- Posts:31
- Joined:Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:56 pm
Re: Auxiliary/ Extra air valve
Great news
Do you think that you could find it?
Do you think that you could find it?
Re: Auxiliary/ Extra air valve
Yep, it's in the metal bin at the recycling centre.
Which is unfortunately closed for some strange reason otherwise I would be straight over the safety rails and straight in there.
Wouldn't be the first time.
Last time got a really lovely rock for the garden.
Which is unfortunately closed for some strange reason otherwise I would be straight over the safety rails and straight in there.
Wouldn't be the first time.
Last time got a really lovely rock for the garden.
-
richard.whittington

- Posts:31
- Joined:Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:56 pm
Re: Auxiliary/ Extra air valve
I think that continuing this conversation may get one of us into trouble bye
Re: Auxiliary/ Extra air valve
The pictures I took were today. That screw is sat on my workbench. Yours if you want it.
Re: Auxiliary/ Extra air valve
Jeez, lighten up.
-
richard.whittington

- Posts:31
- Joined:Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:56 pm
Re: Auxiliary/ Extra air valve
Sorry Steve, no offence intended
K Regards
RWhittington
K Regards
RWhittington
Re: Auxiliary/ Extra air valve
None taken; anyway, that was in France where they are much more lax whene it comes to Health and Safety!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests
