Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

Ralfj
Posts:7
Joined:Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am
Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby Ralfj » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:55 pm

I've just taken ownership of a 1992 4.0 XJS and I'm in love. She has a number if issues that need to be sorted, some just cosmetic and some more functional. So I'm starting to compile a list of things I need to tackle. One of these is an intermittent problem with the central locking, which seems to work randomly. However, I'm wondering if it might be something related to operation of the bonnet release lever. Whilst exploring the area looking for possible shorts, I noticed a mysterious little black box with two LEDs and I'm unsure if it's a factory item or not and what it might do.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FRWB1vxiZm8XcFLH8

In case it's some kind of immobiliser, before I start poking around I thought I would ask if anyone here had an idea what it might be?

Thanks

Ralf

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby davidr » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:11 pm

Hi Ralf - I'd like to help but I'm having trouble accessing the photo. Please could you place it directly in your post instead of a link to a hosting site?
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

User avatar
Tris

Member
Posts:57
Joined:Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Re: Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby Tris » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:34 pm

It looks like the cover for the inertia sensor.
1995 4.0 Celebration Coupe in Sapphire

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby ptjs1 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:11 pm

Agreed,

It's just a plastic £2.50 cover for the inertia switch. The two nobbles are just part of the cover not LEDs.

The central locking issue won't be impacted by the bonnet release lever which is just mechanical.

Good luck with your investigations.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

Ralfj
Posts:7
Joined:Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am

Re: Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby Ralfj » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:53 pm

Thanks everyone. Mystery cleared up and I know to leave it alone and not worry about it.

In terms of the central locking, there is definitely a correlation between the bonnet being opened and closed and the central locking stopping working, which makes me think it might be a short or some other connection issue in that area as I assume the wires from the passenger door come through that general area. However having read a few things on here and elsewhere, I'm going to take the door cards off, give the mechanisms a good lubricate and confirm that the microswitches are functioning properly. Worse case I make sure the locks are not going to stick or jam on me, best case I fix the problem.

Cheers

Ralf

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby poprivet » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:25 pm

The wiring above the inertia sensor looks like Mr Diy has been in there. Maybe an aftermarket alarm or immobiliser?

Check the bonnet catch, it can rub on a wiring loom when the bonnet is closed which could cause a short, you should be able to see if any wiring insulation is worn away.

Al

PaulGover

Member
Posts:824
Joined:Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location:Near Banbury, England

Re: Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby PaulGover » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 am

... I'm going to take the door cards off, give the mechanisms a good lubricate...
Use grease, not WD40 or oil. I made the mistake of WD40, which stopped the locks sticking - for a few months. After that, it all seized again. AFAIR the manual does say grease somewhere.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE

Ralfj
Posts:7
Joined:Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am

Re: Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby Ralfj » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:41 am

Thanks for the tip Paul.

I took the door cards off yesterday and apart from finding out why the front speakers don't work (because the cones have literally disintegrated ) I couldn't see anything wrong mechanically with the locks, all seem to move freely. I still can't help think its electrical as it stops working intermittently and when it has stopped then neither door will trigger it and the boot doesn't unlock. I noticed that the driver's door has a connector on the wiring loom from the solenoid, so I'm going to check the pins in there and make sure they are properly mated.

I don't suppose you know where I could find a wiring diagram for the locking system? I brought the manuals from eManual but TBH haven't found them very useful? Without the wiring diagram I am worried I'll end up being sucked into a vortex trying to trace the cables through the main loom :-)

Cheers

PaulGover

Member
Posts:824
Joined:Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location:Near Banbury, England

Re: Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby PaulGover » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:39 pm

The manuals should come with a set of wiring diagrams (section 86.x.x as far as I remember), though of course you're at the mercy of whoever compiled your manuals from eManual.

You probably don't want to know, but the official Jaguar manuals on DVD/USB key are available for £75 from SNG Barratt among others:
https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Englis ... /44/1/10/1
or as an on-line e-book. I'd phone them to check up exactly what's on each. The full set of workshop manuals was in 5 volumes; Jaguar offered them all on one of their DVDs which I'd hope is what you get on the USB stick. There's also a single volume manual which, while usable, is obviously less detailed than the full set. That appears to be the "Workshop manual" printed version on Barratt's web site. (The 5 volume set has alternative sections for items that changed with later model years.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby ptjs1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:38 pm

Ralf,

Have a look at the attached and you'll find what you need in Fig 12.

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Electri ... trical.pdf

Bear in mind that the diags are for a LHD 92MY, but basically, it's the same as yours.

Hope that helps.

Good luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

Ralfj
Posts:7
Joined:Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am

Re: Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby Ralfj » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:25 pm

Thank you so much Paul, this is perfect. I've just cheekily printed it out at work and look forward to some bedtime reading :-)

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby ptjs1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:03 pm

A pleasure.

Let us all know how you get on.

Cheers

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

Ralfj
Posts:7
Joined:Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am

Re: Mystery black box - any idea what it is?

Postby Ralfj » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Quick update on the central locking issue. By pure random chance, I was in the car earlier today and someone came to talk to me, so I put down the passenger window, and all of a sudden the passenger door and boot unlocked. From that point on the locking worked perfectly.

I've not had any time to investigate further yet, but it looks like it could be a short or bad connection somewhere around the passenger door solenoid assembly. Which would kind of tie into my correlation with opening the bonnet as that requires the passenger door to be opened and closed. At least I know what I'm doing on Saturday morning now.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests