Long journey tips

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:
Long journey tips

Postby poprivet » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:35 pm

This year, I've planned to complete one of those 'once in a lifetime' trips. Forgive me for not giving too much away at this point, but I would like to write up the trip for the JEC if I complete it, and I don't want to look daft if I have to cancel! Anyway, the point of this post is to ask for suggestions on what to take into account. It will involve 2-3000 miles in a couple of weeks, on my own without any back-up mechanic or film-crew following :wink: which for an oldish XJ-S and a much older driver, will be asking a lot. The car is as reliable as I can make it (within a budget).
What spares, tools and essentials would you take? Any and all suggestions are welcome (even the daft ones!)
Pop

SimonR

Member
Posts:578
Joined:Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Postby SimonR » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:53 pm

Hi Pop,

Well, I'm planning a similar journey this summer, from Calaies to Naples in four days in a £100 XJ40, to raise some money for charity and have a really wild time.

I've been chatting on Jag-Lovers and with friends about what needs to be done to the car and what spares need to be taken.

By far the most popular advice is to pay close attention to the cooling system before you leave - flush it out if needed, including that radiator, and check all hoses replacing any that are suspect.

Other than that close attention to the tyres and spare is also high on the list. Aerosol punture-repair kits are apparently highly recomended.

If your trip is in Europe then be sure that you have the relevant safety equipment as required by law in the countries in which you're travelling. As well as the obligatory warning triangle you may need other things such as high-visibility jackets.

User avatar
ng4xjs

Member
Posts:477
Joined:Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Postby ng4xjs » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:27 pm

Hi - Pop. 2K miles to 3K miles is just a walk in the park everything will be fine. Just remember your credit card and a copy of JEC to read :lol:

So if you are not planning driving round the M25 a couple of hundred times and from your tone it seems unlikely you are doing the south of France (Spain though a possibility) my money would need to be on Scandinavia or somewhere :roll: .

Go on give us a clue.

Nick
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver

User avatar
JulesJag
Posts:42
Joined:Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:32 pm
Location:Brighton & Hove, Sussex
Contact:

Postby JulesJag » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:36 pm

Hi Pop,

Take a list of JEC Regional contacts for the areas you are visiting. They may be able to help, or at least know someone who can.

Also, get from Jaguar (or their website), a list of the locations of any main dealers.

Reflective jackets for the driver & any passengers who would have to get out of the car if it broke down. I think that's the law, but don't quote me. I got some in Poundland.

Where are you going ? Do tell

Regards, Julian
1990(H) XJ-S 3.6 auto

User avatar
almcl

Member
Posts:775
Joined:Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:56 pm
Location:Shropshire

Postby almcl » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:58 pm

At least one of the independents will undertake to UPS any spares on their list to you within 24 hours. This is not a cheap option but it is comforting. I took a hose set with me on trip of similar distance. And, for what it's worth, now believe kevlar reinforced hoses are the spawn of Satan, having had two such fail within 18 months of fitting...
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake

User avatar
ng4xjs

Member
Posts:477
Joined:Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Postby ng4xjs » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:10 am

Pop - I would have added a spare altenator belt, but on reflection this is an item that needs to be checked before hand (how about one of those emergency ones then you have a choice of which one to replace)! A good tourch would be useful I think. Problem being that if you take only half the items you think you may need you are going to end up towing a trailer :lol:

Have a good trip (and if you are not gpoing to tell us then we will juist have to read about it in the JEC.

Nick
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver

ran30
Posts:1
Joined:Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:31 am

Re: Long journey tips

Postby ran30 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:49 am

This year, I've planned to complete one of those 'once in a lifetime' trips. Forgive me for not giving too much away at this point, but I would like to write up the trip for the JEC if I complete it, and I don't want to look daft if I have to cancel! Anyway, the point of this post is to ask for suggestions on what to take into account. It will involve 2-3000 miles in a couple of weeks, on my own without any back-up mechanic or film-crew following :wink: which for an oldish XJ-S and a much older driver, will be asking a lot. The car is as reliable as I can make it (within a budget).
What spares, tools and essentials would you take? Any and all suggestions are welcome (even the daft ones!)
Pop
I am planning to travel to a long trip with my family members to Lake Tahoe this summer. I have done some research of there but not getting exact things. Suggest me some good places that we must visit.


lake Tahoe nightlife
Last edited by ran30 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Long journey tips

Postby poprivet » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:20 pm

13 year thread from the dead revival. :)
I don't know Lake Tahoe, but the write up of my trip was published in the March 2008 JEC magazine if you can find a copy.

Al


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests