Hi all,
Just a thought for those that don't do many miles. Check your tyres, not just for tread depth but also the age.
I noticed I had slow puncture on the rear of my car and upon closer inspection could see that whilst not at pressure, there was cracking visible in the side walls. Then I read the DOT codes I noticed the newest of mine was 13yrs old. The oldest was 21 yrs old !
The DOT code is a code stamped on one side of the tyre only. For tyres manufactured since the beginning of 2000, it is a four digit code. e.g 4809 would denote week 48 in the year 2009. If there are only 3 numbers then the tyre could be from the 80's or if there are 3 digits with a triangle, this would be from the 90's.
Next time you're checking the pressure, have a look and check the age too. Over 5yrs your MoT station should be notifying you, by age 10 they should be replaced. It's a manufacturer's recommendation, not a legal requirement as such. It's a grey line but in the event of an accident I wouldn't want to test my insurance company's interpretation of "defective tyres" and invalidating my insurance. Or the police's interpretation for that matter - £2500 + 3 points per tyre.
Rob.
Check your tyres
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests
