Having recently used Eurotunnel in the day car (Fiesta), I was wondering if anyone had experience of taking an XJS on these trains? I certainly wouldn't fancy driving one up the ramp to the top deck, but even getting onto the bottom deck would take some quite careful positioning, I think. I would like to take the XJS abroad one day, so it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has been brave enough to drive onto one of these trains!
Andrew
XJS on a Eurotunnel train?
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
XJS on a Eurotunnel train?
Andrrew,
I've taken mine on the train and it was fine. In fact, if you point out you have a very low front on the car, apparently they put you on in some special place that has better clearance. I managed to get on fine on the standard loading route, though.
Sadly, Gordon now can't go on the train as they won't let LPG vehicles thru' the tunnel. They seem tio think that double-skinned tanks with non-return valves etc etc are more dangerous than a potentially rusty old petrol tank! That's why my Range Rover goes over on the boat!
Paul
I've taken mine on the train and it was fine. In fact, if you point out you have a very low front on the car, apparently they put you on in some special place that has better clearance. I managed to get on fine on the standard loading route, though.
Sadly, Gordon now can't go on the train as they won't let LPG vehicles thru' the tunnel. They seem tio think that double-skinned tanks with non-return valves etc etc are more dangerous than a potentially rusty old petrol tank! That's why my Range Rover goes over on the boat!
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
XJS on a Eurotunnel train?
Thanks, Paul. that's reassuring. I did wonder if they had some sort of special facility for dealing with cars that have very little ground clearance, like Ferraris, etc.
I'll start saving for the petrol and try to stop thinking about the risk of mechanical failure many, many miles from base...
Andrew
I'll start saving for the petrol and try to stop thinking about the risk of mechanical failure many, many miles from base...
Andrew
XJS on a Eurotunnel train?
Andrew
I’ve never had a problem with getting on or off the trains. Even up stairs is no problem (just keep steering straight ahead of course).
Bon voyage
Nick
I’ve never had a problem with getting on or off the trains. Even up stairs is no problem (just keep steering straight ahead of course).
Bon voyage
Nick
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
XJS on a Eurotunnel train?
Just got back from France with the XJS. Last minute decision last night to take my 9-year old daughter over just so that I could drive all day on great roads, have a good meal, go for a dip in the sea and buy some cheap drink.
£12 each way with P&O (could have taken 4 people for that price). Paid the extra to have the club class lounge & priority parking. The boys put me first on the boat, right up the front, plenty of space and no-one parked on either side of me.
All in all a very civilised affair and great driving. Although the train is quick and easy, the ferry makes a great change and is more interesting for my daughter.
Happy Days!
Paul
£12 each way with P&O (could have taken 4 people for that price). Paid the extra to have the club class lounge & priority parking. The boys put me first on the boat, right up the front, plenty of space and no-one parked on either side of me.
All in all a very civilised affair and great driving. Although the train is quick and easy, the ferry makes a great change and is more interesting for my daughter.
Happy Days!
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
- Gordon@1962
- Posts:186
- Joined:Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:41 pm
- Location:Hull
Re: XJS on a Eurotunnel train?
Sadly, Gordon now can't go on the train as they won't let LPG vehicles thru' the tunnel. They seem tio think that double-skinned tanks with non-return valves etc etc are more dangerous than a potentially rusty old petrol tank! That's why my Range Rover goes over on the boat!
Paul
Well I didn't know that.
Crazy really but not to worry as I don't generally drive my car on the continent.
XJ-S Coupe 1991
[url=http://www.jec-xjs-forum.org.uk/xjsbb2/gallery/xjs-show-galentry.php?galentry=280_3][color=blue][b][u]My Gallery Photos[/b][/u][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.jec-xjs-forum.org.uk/xjsbb2/gallery/xjs-show-galentry.php?galentry=280_3][color=blue][b][u]My Gallery Photos[/b][/u][/color][/url]
Re: XJS on a Eurotunnel train?
Eurotunnel and my 3.6 '91 Coupe no problem, however would say that have all new springs and shock absorbers front and rear. Getting to the train is interesting on the speed humps if you are 'Sagging' through old springs that reduces ground clearance so worth bearing in mind, no problem getting on the upper deck and love driving through the narrow compartment to get to the front of the train. As you know the XJS has a limited turning circle so the lining up to get aboard is taken slowly, really enjoy Eurotunnel as you don't have to contend with hordes of screaming children which sometimes happens on the ferries.
Cheers from Peter
Cheers from Peter
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
