Hi,
I've decided to look for an XJS, (manual) to buy. It will be either a cabriolet or a coupe, to maximise the interior space.
I am aware of the likely scenario of travelling around the country looking at individual cars for sale. I have seen Clarkes Jaguar, in Sussex, who seem to have a wonderful array of XJSs. If I can arrange my diary over the next couple of months, I will try to pay them a visit.
A couple of questions -
-Does anyone have any other suggestions of potential sellers who may have a selection of XJSs to view, preferably in or close to the Midlands?
-Has anyone bought from or dealt with Clarkes who can give me first-hand feedback, please? Feel free to PM me, if that is more appropriate.
I shall continue to trawl the wonderful info on this forum.
Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide,
David
XJS Sellers - suggestions please
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
- Cossington
- Posts:59
- Joined:Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:38 pm
- Location:Leicestershire
Current Jaguars-
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
Re: XJS Sellers - suggestions please
Hi David
Congratulations on your decision to buy an XjS!
A couple of points.
A manual car wil be quite a rare beast, most are autos, so a certain amount of travel is probably inevitable.
You're handily placed in the midlands to visit most parts (of England).
When committing to buy such a car I feel there is a certain pleasure to be gained from going off and seeing different cars, "it's far better to travel hopefully than to arrive etc." Plus, I think viewing differnt cars gives you a feel for what's out there In terms of bodywork, interior condition, optional extras, prices etc. there is no substitute for seeing a range of cars "in the flesh", also so it allows you to bargain with vendors from a point of view of first hand experience "I saw a similar/better car last week for less money"etc.
I can't speak to Clarkes having never bought there but if memory serves me their cars are at the top of the price bracket, which may be fine if accompanied by a suitable warranty after sales etc"
You do need to try and define exactly what you want in terms of engine size, model year, condition and purchase price, this will cut down your search considerably.
My advice would be to be prepared for some travelling AND wasted journeys, but to enjoy it as part of the buying experience.
Good luck!
TonyS
EDIT
PS are you familiar with the XJS? If not perhaps someone from the Bulletin Borad or forum would be willing to assist you in your purchase?
Congratulations on your decision to buy an XjS!
A couple of points.
A manual car wil be quite a rare beast, most are autos, so a certain amount of travel is probably inevitable.
You're handily placed in the midlands to visit most parts (of England).
When committing to buy such a car I feel there is a certain pleasure to be gained from going off and seeing different cars, "it's far better to travel hopefully than to arrive etc." Plus, I think viewing differnt cars gives you a feel for what's out there In terms of bodywork, interior condition, optional extras, prices etc. there is no substitute for seeing a range of cars "in the flesh", also so it allows you to bargain with vendors from a point of view of first hand experience "I saw a similar/better car last week for less money"etc.
I can't speak to Clarkes having never bought there but if memory serves me their cars are at the top of the price bracket, which may be fine if accompanied by a suitable warranty after sales etc"
You do need to try and define exactly what you want in terms of engine size, model year, condition and purchase price, this will cut down your search considerably.
My advice would be to be prepared for some travelling AND wasted journeys, but to enjoy it as part of the buying experience.
Good luck!
TonyS
EDIT
PS are you familiar with the XJS? If not perhaps someone from the Bulletin Borad or forum would be willing to assist you in your purchase?
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
- Cossington
- Posts:59
- Joined:Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:38 pm
- Location:Leicestershire
Re: XJS Sellers - suggestions please
Thanks for your help, TonyS.
I am not overly familiar - I'm just getting to grips with what 'facelift' means, which engine options there were etc. In reality I am hoping to find one or two sellers who have a several cars to look at, in order to cut down my 'comparison learning curve', which you identify. This may be rather optimistic, I realise.
I spoke at some length to David Marks (Tech consultant to the Club) last week, when he was doing some work on my XJ8. That was very helpful.
Seeking a manual car, which essentially means a 3.6 or 4.0 (I know there is the very occasional manual V12, such as the one in the classifieds at the moment).
I am looking to use the car as a 3-seater (one child behind the passenger seat), but no-one behind me, as the driver. The earlier cars seem to have slightly 'thinner' seats - is this correct and do they contribute to a little more rear leg room, than the later cars?
Thanks,
David
I am not overly familiar - I'm just getting to grips with what 'facelift' means, which engine options there were etc. In reality I am hoping to find one or two sellers who have a several cars to look at, in order to cut down my 'comparison learning curve', which you identify. This may be rather optimistic, I realise.
I spoke at some length to David Marks (Tech consultant to the Club) last week, when he was doing some work on my XJ8. That was very helpful.
Seeking a manual car, which essentially means a 3.6 or 4.0 (I know there is the very occasional manual V12, such as the one in the classifieds at the moment).
I am looking to use the car as a 3-seater (one child behind the passenger seat), but no-one behind me, as the driver. The earlier cars seem to have slightly 'thinner' seats - is this correct and do they contribute to a little more rear leg room, than the later cars?
Thanks,
David
Current Jaguars-
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
Re: XJS Sellers - suggestions please
David
I've never thought about the thickness of the seats, but in my experience rear legroom is poor in all models. I don't think it makes much difference.
Yes, passenger seat forward and child behind in the back back makes sense, other people here take their kids in the back.
I'm 6'2 " nearly and you would have to be under two years old or a double amputee to sit behind me in an XJS, drivers seat touches rear seat..........
Having said that I've sat in the back for quite long journeys....sideways, not too bad as long as one front seat passenger is short!
TonyS
I've never thought about the thickness of the seats, but in my experience rear legroom is poor in all models. I don't think it makes much difference.
Yes, passenger seat forward and child behind in the back back makes sense, other people here take their kids in the back.
I'm 6'2 " nearly and you would have to be under two years old or a double amputee to sit behind me in an XJS, drivers seat touches rear seat..........
Having said that I've sat in the back for quite long journeys....sideways, not too bad as long as one front seat passenger is short!
TonyS
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
Re: XJS Sellers - suggestions please
David
If you decide to take the time to come down to Clarkes, it is also worth going to see Arun cars who are in a similar neck of the woods and also have a reasonable selection of XJS - my experience of both of them is try and go on a weekday - Arun can get busy on a weekend.
Cheers
Steve
If you decide to take the time to come down to Clarkes, it is also worth going to see Arun cars who are in a similar neck of the woods and also have a reasonable selection of XJS - my experience of both of them is try and go on a weekday - Arun can get busy on a weekend.
Cheers
Steve
2015 3.0 V6S F-Type Coupe
Previous Jaguars:
2007 (08MY) 4.2 XKR Coupe
1996 XJS 4.0 Celebration Coupe
1988 XJ-S 3.6 Coupe
Previous Jaguars:
2007 (08MY) 4.2 XKR Coupe
1996 XJS 4.0 Celebration Coupe
1988 XJ-S 3.6 Coupe
Re: XJS Sellers - suggestions please
David,
Give Brian Harris, the XJS Forum Co-ordinator a ring. I'm sure he will have lots of good advice. If you then want any further info, do feel free to give me a ring.
Regards,
Paul Sinnott
Give Brian Harris, the XJS Forum Co-ordinator a ring. I'm sure he will have lots of good advice. If you then want any further info, do feel free to give me a ring.
Regards,
Paul Sinnott
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
- Cossington
- Posts:59
- Joined:Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:38 pm
- Location:Leicestershire
Re: XJS Sellers - suggestions please
Many thanks for your feedback.
The hunt is on....
David
The hunt is on....
David
Current Jaguars-
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
Re: XJS Sellers - suggestions please
David
Another thought may be KWE near Newbury. They are mostly known for their restorations/upgrades on XJS's but they also sell/source cars and Chris really knows his stuff.
Regards
David
Another thought may be KWE near Newbury. They are mostly known for their restorations/upgrades on XJS's but they also sell/source cars and Chris really knows his stuff.
Regards
David
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: XJS Sellers - suggestions please
Hi,
Pre-face lift XJ-S 3.6 manuals are still out there. I procured one from the classified section of Jaguar World just recently.
I would keep an eye on our own JEC classified section as well as Jaguar World. In terms of dealers/specialists; KWE, Clarkes, and Arun have already been mentioned. My V12 XJ-S came from Clarkes. You will always pay a premium buying a good example from a dealer.
Good luck!
Pre-face lift XJ-S 3.6 manuals are still out there. I procured one from the classified section of Jaguar World just recently.
I would keep an eye on our own JEC classified section as well as Jaguar World. In terms of dealers/specialists; KWE, Clarkes, and Arun have already been mentioned. My V12 XJ-S came from Clarkes. You will always pay a premium buying a good example from a dealer.
Good luck!
1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 HE 5-speed manual
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

