Steve
New Tyres for V12
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
I need 2 new front tyres, P600 235/60-VR15's for 1989 5.3 V12 conv. Have scanned numerous websites and Adverts but no joy. If I fail to find any what alternatives can I use..do you recommend
Steve
Steve
New Tyres for V12
I was going to suggest the same website. As an alternative, my car has 225 tyres (which she had when I bought her). I've never found a problem getting new rubber (she's currently wearing Avon ZV3s), although I do know others have struggled with 235 size.
Hope this helps,
Sheepy
Hope this helps,
Sheepy
---------
'66 MGB Roadster
'66 MGB Roadster
New Tyres for V12
I looked at that site, but it only came up with 'T' rated tyres which are no good. 225s alter the gearing and give false speedo reading. Another option may be to change the wheels to 16inch although all 5 with new rubber isn't going to be cheap.
Pop
Pop
New Tyres for V12
Pop,
Not sure why you think that 225/60 can cause a gearing/speed issue compare to 235/60 since they are the same diameter, just narrower. Admittedly I didn't get my Avons from blackcircles so don't know if they stock them.
Heck even if you were to fit 225/50, the difference in speed accuracy would only be 4%. Given speedos underread by anything between 5% and 10%, then all you would really do is make your indicated speeds more accurate
Sheepy
Not sure why you think that 225/60 can cause a gearing/speed issue compare to 235/60 since they are the same diameter, just narrower. Admittedly I didn't get my Avons from blackcircles so don't know if they stock them.
Heck even if you were to fit 225/50, the difference in speed accuracy would only be 4%. Given speedos underread by anything between 5% and 10%, then all you would really do is make your indicated speeds more accurate
Sheepy
---------
'66 MGB Roadster
'66 MGB Roadster
New Tyres for V12
I beg everyone's pardon; I must have bought the last 3 Pirelli 600 235 tyres from this company a month ago ! I attempted to repeat the order out of interest over the internet, but was unable.
It might still be worth calling them on 0845 200 0022, mentioning that they sold some on order BC050438 dated the 16th of August.
I better not drive on them - they are probablly worth more than the car!
Robin.
It might still be worth calling them on 0845 200 0022, mentioning that they sold some on order BC050438 dated the 16th of August.
I better not drive on them - they are probablly worth more than the car!
Robin.
New Tyres for V12
Thanks for all your replies. Did not find VR on Black Circles but do have P600 235/60/15-W's at 111 quid each. These are rated to something like 176 mph bit OTT for the kind of driving I do but should at least keep the insurance company happy.
Obviously I would have prefered the original VR's but looks like they are unobtainable these days.
Steve
Obviously I would have prefered the original VR's but looks like they are unobtainable these days.
Steve
New Tyres for V12
since they are the same diameter, just narrower
The circumference is shorter on 225s due to the height of the profile being 60 percent of the width.
Pop
The circumference is shorter on 225s due to the height of the profile being 60 percent of the width.
Pop
New Tyres for V12
if you want to check the size of different tyres have a look at the following site , enter the size of your existing tyre and the one that you are looking to change to and it will calculate the sizes and tell you the percentage difference
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
New Tyres for V12
Pop,
Thanks, I've learned something new. I didn't realise that the sidewall size was a percentage of width. I checked my car, and she's definately wearing 225/60s.
In terms of speed and distance, then I'll be less than 2% out from what I would have achieved on the correct size. I'm still not convinced that this is significant enough to worry about, especially in a car as old as mine!
Sheepy
Thanks, I've learned something new. I didn't realise that the sidewall size was a percentage of width. I checked my car, and she's definately wearing 225/60s.
In terms of speed and distance, then I'll be less than 2% out from what I would have achieved on the correct size. I'm still not convinced that this is significant enough to worry about, especially in a car as old as mine!
Sheepy
---------
'66 MGB Roadster
'66 MGB Roadster
New Tyres for V12
Hi Sheepy, no problem - we all benefit from gained knowledge. I had 225s when I first got the 3.6 A while after I had all the wheels re-finished and new P600s fitted. The speedo is now spot on with the GPS, the only car I've ever had that is really accurate.
I did notice a change in 'feel' from 225s but that may have been down to them being all different makes, tread patterns and wear rates!
I did notice a change in 'feel' from 225s but that may have been down to them being all different makes, tread patterns and wear rates!
New Tyres for V12
Hi, i have just bought 3 Pirelli P600 235/60 R15 98W off (www.mytyres.co.uk) they do have a small supply at £98.90 each delivered, unless you buy 1, then there is a £5.00 surcharge.
They are stamped made in uk 09/05 so must be the last ones Pirelli made.
Malc\e
They are stamped made in uk 09/05 so must be the last ones Pirelli made.
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
New Tyres for V12
the 2% difference in size will have no effect on gearing or the speedo,
this is just scare mongering by some tyre outlets,
i will however stress the importance of matching your tyres , especially on the same axel
but when a new tyre compared to a legal worn tyre can have upto 12mm difference in diamiter you will realise that it wont be a problem,
i know a new tyre has 8mm deep tread, but thats at one point, the tread on the other side of the wheel is also 8mm, and it can wear down to 2mm , so in thoery you can loose 12mm from a tyre in its life ( 6mm each side of diamiter )
BB
this is just scare mongering by some tyre outlets,
i will however stress the importance of matching your tyres , especially on the same axel
but when a new tyre compared to a legal worn tyre can have upto 12mm difference in diamiter you will realise that it wont be a problem,
i know a new tyre has 8mm deep tread, but thats at one point, the tread on the other side of the wheel is also 8mm, and it can wear down to 2mm , so in thoery you can loose 12mm from a tyre in its life ( 6mm each side of diamiter )
BB
New Tyres for V12
I have always stuck with Dunlop Sport 2000 225x60x15. Overall I have found these to be a really good compromise between longevity and traction. Recent set this weekend £400.00 for four supplied fitted and balanced etc. Not bad. Yes I know you can buy cheaper direct but that still leaves the hassel of getting them fitted and disposal of the old ones.
You pays yer money etc.
Nick
You pays yer money etc.
Nick
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests
