Steering-wheel Badge Colours

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

SimonR

Member
Posts:578
Joined:Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm
Steering-wheel Badge Colours

Postby SimonR » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:42 pm

Just a geeky Trivia question:

When I bought my Jag, it had a black badge with silver growler on the steering-wheel but in the five boxes of spares I got with it there was a gold badge. The latter seems to go better with my car's interior so I swapped it over.

Which is the correct one for my 1987 3.6 Manual with grey leather interior?

Sheepy
Posts:37
Joined:Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:39 am
Location:Leighton Buzzard, Beds
Contact:

Steering-wheel Badge Colours

Postby Sheepy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:10 am

Mine is silver with a grey half-leather interior (3.6).

Maybe the V-12 came with the gold one?

Sheepy
---------
'66 MGB Roadster

SimonR

Member
Posts:578
Joined:Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Steering-wheel Badge Colours

Postby SimonR » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:41 pm

Well, I did wonder about that but I have seen a V12 with black badge. THe Gold one in question can be seen in this picture.

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Steering-wheel Badge Colours

Postby Brakebuster » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:26 pm

the original XJS had a gold background badge with silver growler, then when the series 2 came in the 6 pot got a black badge with silver growler and the V12 got a black badge with gold growler, then with the series 3 all had black with gold growlers,

this is what i was told anyway , lol

BB 8)

KeithC
Posts:14
Joined:Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:05 pm
Location:Woodbridge, Suffolk

Steering-wheel Badge Colours

Postby KeithC » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:30 pm

My series 3 V12 has a gold growler on black background to backup what the other guys have said.

Regards
Keith

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Steering-wheel Badge Colours

Postby poprivet » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:18 pm

This subject is covered nicely on page 96 of the Kelsey Books 'XJS Restoration & Maintenance' book by Jim Patten.
In summation, '1975-1988 used an injection moulded elliptical badge displaying gold growler face, surrounded by gold tooth border against an attractive gold/bronze background'
3.6 used a silver and black version.
A gold and black version was used on all later models up to the introduction of steering wheel airbags.

Lots of other info in there covering all aspects of XJS badging :D
Pop

SimonR

Member
Posts:578
Joined:Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Steering-wheel Badge Colours

Postby SimonR » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:26 pm

Thanks for the info. In that case my motor has the wrong badge, but I like it so I'm keeping it there!

I shall look out for a copy of that book, it sounds le it might be a lot of use.

Cheers.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests