Gearshift handle

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:
Gearshift handle

Postby poprivet » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:42 am

The later pre-facelifts had lots of beautiful elm wood around the dash but I always thought the black gearshift handle looked out of place. I know you can buy wood ones, but they seemed a lot of money so I thought I would have a go at modifying it myself. The result is a good match and the finish has lasted perfectly for two years now. After rubbing down the original plastic two-part handle and de-greasing, it was spray primed in white. Two Humbrol enamel paint pots, No 9 (brown) and No 7 (gloss cream) were bought and applied using fine artists brushes in a swirl pattern so the paint colours emulated the existing wood.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/ ... 1Small.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/ ... 2Small.jpg

User avatar
JulesJag
Posts:42
Joined:Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:32 pm
Location:Brighton & Hove, Sussex
Contact:

Gearshift handle

Postby JulesJag » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:51 pm

Hi Pop,
Looks great !
Julian
1990(H) XJ-S 3.6 auto

User avatar
ng4xjs

Member
Posts:477
Joined:Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Gearshift handle

Postby ng4xjs » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:29 pm

Pop

So that's "buy one get one free" then.

Looks nice.
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver

Martin
Posts:33
Joined:Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:06 pm

Gearshift handle

Postby Martin » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:52 pm

Pop - looks good. There are almost always similar items for sale on ebay.

Try this one for example.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-JAGUAR-XJ6-XJ ... dZViewItem

Martin

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Gearshift handle

Postby poprivet » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:07 pm

True, but cost is already around £20 mark. Im not rich/daft enough to spend anything like that on a small piece of wood :wink:

Martin
Posts:33
Joined:Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:06 pm

Gearshift handle

Postby Martin » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:25 pm

Me neither - I actually like the standard black one. If I was going to change it I'd probably DIY it like you.

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Gearshift handle

Postby poprivet » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:40 pm

I'll make you one for a tenner, matched to your particular shade of wood 8)
Pop

henry
Posts:19
Joined:Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:09 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire

Gearshift handle

Postby henry » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:15 am

Pop
if you are geared up to do this then you could have a nice little earner as a sideline
The ebay item that Martin identified comes from a guy who obviously has a nice little sideline in selling turned and highly polished wooden knobs and bits for cars ( mainly jaguar) on ebay he sold over £600 in the last two weeks at prices ranging up to £51 for a gearnob. could be an interesting way of helping to funding your classic car activities
Henry


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests