Page 1 of 1

XJ40 Central Locking Issue

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:30 am
by benbeitleriphone731
Hi All,

I’m working on the Daimler and I think the solenoid (I think it’s called this!) which I’ve taken one out from the nearside front door to look at - bugger to undo!

1. Is there a single unit which should activate all four solenoids?

2. Does all four doors have the same part or are they different (when finding replacements)?

3. When you look at the plug, there are five wires - which one (colour) can I use to manually pass a current through it to activate and test it out please?

All four locks do not work after changing the central locking module, checked the inline fuse, checked power going to the front doors and the panic switch clicks away on doors (but not locking) and the windows and sunroof closes (when the button is held down) ... so, I’ve read through posts on sync the doors locks, disconnected battery and reconnected - does it mean all four solenoids are fried?

What else could it be?

Any help on the above and does anyone have parts in stock, if so, prices please.

Thanks 🙂

Re: XJ40 Central Locking Issue

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:45 am
by naki
It’s fairly standard for the solenoids to all fail on 86-92 models. On 93-94 they are generally more reliable. It’s not an easy situation to remedy.
I have seen the solenoids available new, but at £200+ each, they are beyond what most others will spend. The only successful repair I have seen done, is replacement of the small electric motor within the housing. With a generic part from China. I do not know the spec of the part though. If you have time, and inclination, I would suggest that’s the route to go.
Regarding bench testing, try getting the Haynes manual, as it has wiring diagrams showing wiring colours on there.

Re: XJ40 Central Locking Issue

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:46 am
by naki
Or if you can tally up the different wiring colours, you may be able to swap plugs from a yours into a late model set? I think they have the same number of wires per plug, but different plugs and different wiring colours. Just to cause maximum confusion.