Does anyone know how to remove front electric seat controls

Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag

AndyStodart

Member
Posts:29
Joined:Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:30 pm
Does anyone know how to remove front electric seat controls

Postby AndyStodart » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:48 am

Does anyone know how to release the front driver's seat electric controls from the seat frame to allow the leather seat cover and cushion to be removed. I'm not happy just to pull on the switch pack as I'm sure I will end up breaking some small plastic tang somewhere, so that it won't go back together.


The reason that I need to do this job is that part of the frame broke on both sides where the back part of the frame pivot is anchored to the seat rails. The result is that the whole seat frame now pivots around the front edge of the seat cushion. After some research on the web I found other X300 seats had failed in the same way. I now have a driver's seat from another scrap car, but the trim colour is different. I therefore need to transplant the trim from my broken seat to the frame of the other seat. I've stripped the leather and foam off the backrest, but can't get the foam and leather off the cushion, because I can't release the switch pack from the frame. (I have unplugged the electrical connector). Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Andy Stodart - 1995 & 1996 manual XJRs and ex-Jaguar engineer

AndyStodart

Member
Posts:29
Joined:Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Does anyone know how to remove front electric seat contr

Postby AndyStodart » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Advice from another website was to put a large flat bladed screwdriver under the edge of the whole switch pack and leaver it out.I was able to remove the switch pack from the plastic aperture (photo attached-hopefully )which is glued into the foam of the seat. On the seat that was donating the frame, the whole pack came out complete. Unfortunately, on the seat that was donating the trim and the matching switch pack, one of the 4 plastic tangs broke. It is just about possible to see the two lower tangs looking through the frame, but access is very limited to try to release them from the two lower slots in the aperture in the photo. The upper two tanks are very difficult to see from the inside because they are obscured by the foam. When I got the switch pack out, I could then remove the three screws that hold the plastic aperture to the frame (also shown in the photo). I was then able to remove the foam with the leather trim still covering it. I then transplanted the foam and leather cushion to the replacement seat frame. The switch pack was refitted with the three remaining tangs and seems secure. I've now taken the switch pack off two seats with a 50% success rate. I still don't know how I would do it differently another time. Good luck to anyone else trying this job. It feels like this arrangement was designed to go together once, but nobody really thought how anyone would take it apart again.
DSC05650.JPG
Photo of plastic aperture in foam cushion into which the switch pack clips
Andy Stodart - 1995 & 1996 manual XJRs and ex-Jaguar engineer

AndyStodart

Member
Posts:29
Joined:Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Does anyone know how to remove front electric seat contr

Postby AndyStodart » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:14 pm

I now have a set of leather back rest and lower seat cushion for a driver's seat that I don't need from my donor seat frame and so I'm happy to give them away. They are in poor condition (usual wear on side bolter) - see photo. If anyone wants them let me know. They can be collected from the Northampton area.
DSC05683.JPG
Andy Stodart - 1995 & 1996 manual XJRs and ex-Jaguar engineer

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Does anyone know how to remove front electric seat contr

Postby ptjs1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:34 pm

Andy,

Well done for working it out. After your first post, I went out to my x308 and tried to work out if I could prise off the outer cover to report back to you. After much effort, eventually, I realised I was probably going to snap it off if I continued , and now I realise why!

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests