regards john
S type roof lining
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
The first question is , is the roof lining on the S type a fully glued roof pad and lining without any hoops.I cant find or feel any hoops as suggested are fitted to possibly MK 2 cars. Secondly when I bought my car a new roof lining was provided but without the pad. I guess I will have to buy a pad as I assume the roof will be totaly destroyed when trying to remove prior to replacement. The last thing any tips with regard to fitting.
regards john
Merry christmas to all!! 
regards john
Re: S type roof lining
John, I am sorry I can't help with the type of S type roof lining as I have a Mk2. However, if it is the same then I have replaced mine some time ago and can offer some advice so I will keep an eye on the posts.
Regards,
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Re: S type roof lining
thanks for showing interest, I may still ask for any help you may be able to give
john
john
-
Anthony0559

- Posts:14
- Joined:Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:05 pm
- Location:Kinsale, Ireland
Re: S type roof lining
John,
I stripped the inside from my car in the last 12 months and then sent it off to the body shop for alot of new metal and some paint!!
I can confirm that the roof lining is completely different to the MkII in that it has no hoops or ties or draw strings. The wool lining is glued to a foam backing pad which is in turn gluded to the roof panel. Have a look at BAS International, Aldridge, Martrim and websites of other trim suppliers. If you go thought all the trim items for the S-type you will come across mention of the backing pad. One of the web sites highlight the superior thickness and quality of the backing pad which you should take particlular notice of. This should give extra 'depth' and feel to the finished trim. Do not forget that if you are doing the roof lining you will have to doe the front and rear screens along with the side cant rails. these are two piece assembies which have roof lining on them with extra on the ends fro wrap around and jointing to each other. Hopefully you have not taken these down already as needless to say you need to take numerous photographs before, during and after the strip out. Also make copious notes of what you did and what you find as you go from step to step. As for the refit I must say I have not got to that yet but when I do I will be enlisting extra help. Thinking about the job I think it will be better to work on the job from a lying position within the car. I worked on my knees and ended up with a crick in my neck. Refit will take alot longer - so get comfortable. take lots of measurements. Mark Centre lines from side to side and fore and aft. Do the same on the cloth and pad on both sides using chalk which you are sure will remove/wipe away. Have appropriate tools (cloths and rollers) to 'iron out' air pockets working from centre line to each side & from lateral c/line fore and aft. Just some thoughts. Sorry for rambling on. Good Luck! Regards, Anthony.
I stripped the inside from my car in the last 12 months and then sent it off to the body shop for alot of new metal and some paint!!
I can confirm that the roof lining is completely different to the MkII in that it has no hoops or ties or draw strings. The wool lining is glued to a foam backing pad which is in turn gluded to the roof panel. Have a look at BAS International, Aldridge, Martrim and websites of other trim suppliers. If you go thought all the trim items for the S-type you will come across mention of the backing pad. One of the web sites highlight the superior thickness and quality of the backing pad which you should take particlular notice of. This should give extra 'depth' and feel to the finished trim. Do not forget that if you are doing the roof lining you will have to doe the front and rear screens along with the side cant rails. these are two piece assembies which have roof lining on them with extra on the ends fro wrap around and jointing to each other. Hopefully you have not taken these down already as needless to say you need to take numerous photographs before, during and after the strip out. Also make copious notes of what you did and what you find as you go from step to step. As for the refit I must say I have not got to that yet but when I do I will be enlisting extra help. Thinking about the job I think it will be better to work on the job from a lying position within the car. I worked on my knees and ended up with a crick in my neck. Refit will take alot longer - so get comfortable. take lots of measurements. Mark Centre lines from side to side and fore and aft. Do the same on the cloth and pad on both sides using chalk which you are sure will remove/wipe away. Have appropriate tools (cloths and rollers) to 'iron out' air pockets working from centre line to each side & from lateral c/line fore and aft. Just some thoughts. Sorry for rambling on. Good Luck! Regards, Anthony.
S-type 3.8L ('66)
XJ40 SOV 2.9L (Mar '89)
XJ40 SOV 4.0L (Aug '94)
XK Coupe 4.2L (Jan '07)
XJ40 SOV 2.9L (Mar '89)
XJ40 SOV 4.0L (Aug '94)
XK Coupe 4.2L (Jan '07)
Re: S type roof lining
Wow!! thanks so much for the detailed info, I a am a paraplegic so the work has been left to my son. As It happens he works in a car body shop stripping an refitting after a respray but of course not normally classic cars.
So Many thanks for the info
John
So Many thanks for the info
John
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest