Page 1 of 1
Seat belts pre factory fitted fixing points
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:50 pm
by mt.53227
Just wondered if there was any advice to be had regarding fixing Securon inertia reel belts to my 1961 MK2. How difficult is fitting mountings?
Thanks, Malcolm
Re: Seat belts pre factory fitted fixing points
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:52 am
by piman
hello Malcom,
moderately difficult but that depends on your facilities.
I have just done that on my 1962 MK and I had to drill and mount the top and bottom attachments on the door pillar and fix mounting plates with captive (welded) nuts to the transmission tunnel. If your original belts are like mine, with two screws holding the belt at the top of the pillar this adds some complication. The new belts just use one mounting bolt so I made a plate which I tapped 7/16" UNF and attached it using the original fixing screws. This of course means the wood needs attention to fill the two original holes and drilled for the new. As my wood work needs re veneering any way that is quite easy but if your wood is in good shape, as I say it's a bit more awkward.
I have also fitted mounts for the retracting belts at the rear. The retracting mechanisms will fit centrally and below the rear parcel shelf. which I fitted some 3mm steel plate as reinforcements for the mounting of them. More plates with captive nuts fitted to the base of the seat and wheel arch.
Alec
Re: Seat belts pre factory fitted fixing points
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:34 pm
by mt.53227
Thank you Alec as I start opening up the job I am sure I will be back to the forum for more advice