I am considering changing the headlining on my 1964 MK2, I would be very grateful of any advice from fellow members that may have achieved this daunting task, like I say any helpful advice would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance to any advice submitted Martin
Headlining
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Re: Headlining
Martin, i have recently changed mine during my rebuild for a new one supplied by Aldridge trimming in wolverhampton. Their product was very good. Mine was the 5 bar type suspention which, to be honest, was not as difficult to do as some people have made it out to be. When removing the bars make sure you keep each end clip that fit into brackets on the cant rail specific to each bar and side as if you mix them up they do not fit back easily. The front and rear windscreen need to come out as the headliner is glued to a return above the front glass and under the rear screen rubber. Apart from that you need two people to ensure you get the right tension across each section when fixing around the cant rails and the screens. I started from the first rail nearest the front and worked backwards. To be honest i believe the most difficult part, which i did not get as good as i wanted it to be, was the last section to the rear as the internal lights hampered the positioning of the headliner and i ended up with some slight creasing in that panel. Oh i almost forgot, you can almost gurantee thar you will have to remove the existing sound proofing between the headliner and the roof which is A NIGHTMARE. There will be bits of stuff and dust everywhere so plan on removing almost everything inside the car. The cant rail wood needs to come off so that will proberbly mean removing parts of the door seals. Sorry it sounds like a bigish job but the to be honest it is. Nit sure where you are but you are welcome to come have a look and discussion at mine if you are near mancheste. Tony
Re: Headlining
Thanks for that, you have answered a lot of my doubts.
Re: Headlining
Hi, I have done it also and found it not too bad. I actually quite enjoyed it. As said the messy bit is removing the sound deadening from the roof, horrible job. I replaced mine with some latest Toyota stuff sold by one of the suppliers at the NEC. I stuck it on with Evostick about 10+ years ago and so far it is fine (touch wood).
Best of luck,
Best of luck,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
