Hi
Does anyone know how to disassemble the lock on a 60s S type? I need to get the barrel off the door. There is a collar that goes on the front with two holes in the side of it. I'm wondering if a tool locates in these and screws it off.
Paul
Glove box lock
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Re: Glove box lock
I think your find you need to stick in pin in the small hole , there is a spring loaded catch in there !
- Attachments
-
- s-l500[4].jpg (18.49KiB)Viewed 4703 times
-
PaulHaskey

- Posts:38
- Joined:Mon May 18, 2015 8:46 pm
Re: Glove box lock
Thanks 340jag
There are two holes in the collar. I've tried a pin in the one hole but I cant feel a spring Obviously you've had yours off Did you use a tool of some description?
Paul
There are two holes in the collar. I've tried a pin in the one hole but I cant feel a spring Obviously you've had yours off Did you use a tool of some description?
Paul
-
PaulHaskey

- Posts:38
- Joined:Mon May 18, 2015 8:46 pm
Re: Glove box lock
Managed to get it off by putting a pop rivet nail in the hole and gently tapping it with a small hammer, to unscrew the collar.
-
PaulHaskey

- Posts:38
- Joined:Mon May 18, 2015 8:46 pm
Re: Glove box lock
Does anyone know where I can get a key cut for one of these? I haven't got an existing one.
Re: Glove box lock
Hello Paul,
is there a key number anywhere on the lock? There are various stockists of these Wilmot Breeden keys if you can identify it?
Failing that, if you have or can get a spare key, remove the barrel from the lock, insert the key and file down flush with the barrel all protruding latches. Obviously this reduces the (limited) security of the lock but for a glove box I don't think it's a big worry?
Alec
is there a key number anywhere on the lock? There are various stockists of these Wilmot Breeden keys if you can identify it?
Failing that, if you have or can get a spare key, remove the barrel from the lock, insert the key and file down flush with the barrel all protruding latches. Obviously this reduces the (limited) security of the lock but for a glove box I don't think it's a big worry?
Alec
Last edited by piman on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: Glove box lock
If it’s any help, my 240 has the same key for the boot and glove box and a different one for ignition and front doors. Might be worth trying the boot key to see if it works.
Having said that I would have thought that,when new, there would have been the same key for all locks.
Cheers
Pete
Having said that I would have thought that,when new, there would have been the same key for all locks.
Cheers
Pete
-
Ronniebiggs

- Posts:59
- Joined:Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:09 pm
Re: Glove box lock
Hi,
As standard, there was one key for doors/ignition and a different one for boot/glove box. The idea was you could let the valet park it without access to the boot etc. Triumphs of the era were the same arrangement.
The keys have the number stamped on them so you just need to order the appropriate key; it used to be possible to get them over the counter but I suspect it's trickier these days. As an aside, the ignition key number is stamped on the face of the ignition barrel. Made the cars a breeze to steal, just look through the back window with a pair of opera glasses, note the number, order a key then steal it at your leisure...why do you think so many were used as getaway cars?
Biggest nuisance is opening the glove box with the engine running - you need to take the key off the ring to do so!
Jay
As standard, there was one key for doors/ignition and a different one for boot/glove box. The idea was you could let the valet park it without access to the boot etc. Triumphs of the era were the same arrangement.
The keys have the number stamped on them so you just need to order the appropriate key; it used to be possible to get them over the counter but I suspect it's trickier these days. As an aside, the ignition key number is stamped on the face of the ignition barrel. Made the cars a breeze to steal, just look through the back window with a pair of opera glasses, note the number, order a key then steal it at your leisure...why do you think so many were used as getaway cars?
Biggest nuisance is opening the glove box with the engine running - you need to take the key off the ring to do so!
Jay
Jaguar 3.4 Mk2. As original as I can keep it whilst still being safe!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest