Headliner fixing
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Hi, i need help yet again. I have today "hung" a new headliner in my 240 ( 6 bar type fixing ) and am hoping tomorrow to fix it around the sides, working from the middle to the front and rear, before sticking it at the front and rear before the front and rear windscreens are fitted next. However, the wood was not in position when i stripped the car so need some advice on the positioning of the headliner, furflex and wood. I THINK the headliner sticks to or is tacked to the tacking strip over the doors and then allowed to hang down a little before being cut off behind the wood when it is installed. The furflex i assume fixes behind the wood on top of the end of the headliner. Hopefully someone has done this recently or has the memory of doing it to give me some guidance. Fingers crossed. Tony D
Re: Headliner fixing
OK spent most of the day figuring it out. It turns out my 'assumptions' were correct and with the use of a brilliant glue purchased from Woolies, and being patient to wait the recommended 20 mins before putting cloth to tacking strip, the sides are on. Just the front and rear glueing positions to figure out tomorrow.
Re: Headliner fixing
I was going to look at mine today but glad you are fixed. I found that for the front and back that I had to pull the headling down around the window frame lip and glue it in position there and then the seal held it in place. Could not see how else to do it so interested to see what others may say.
Any chance of a picture when done to help others for the record?
Best of luck.
Any chance of a picture when done to help others for the record?
Best of luck.
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Re: Headliner fixing
Had the chance to snap a few pics today as requested although how useful they are I'm not sure. Firtsly I stuck everything with the glue in picture which i got from woolies, used it too for the boot seals, brilliant stuff. Coat both sides and leave for 20 minutes, even with some tension across the headliner it sticks immediately and allows manipulation for a few seconds, then its as good as staples.
Along the cant rail above the doors I stuck the headliner to the tacking strip face and to the underside so that it will be a smooth transition from headliner to the wood, when fitted. ( there is a little lack of tension in the middle of the picture as the tacking strip stops each side of the interior light which when fitted will cover this up)
At the front i stuck the headliner to a return on the metal cross member onto which the rear view mirror and sunvisors mount. This allows the front windscreen rubber to mount onto its own rail.
At the rear i decided, as i did not see another option, to stick the headliner upto the rear windscreen mounting. I did not return the headliner around the rear screen mounting, hopefull this is correct although I have yet to trim this so could modify.
Along the cant rail above the doors I stuck the headliner to the tacking strip face and to the underside so that it will be a smooth transition from headliner to the wood, when fitted. ( there is a little lack of tension in the middle of the picture as the tacking strip stops each side of the interior light which when fitted will cover this up)
At the front i stuck the headliner to a return on the metal cross member onto which the rear view mirror and sunvisors mount. This allows the front windscreen rubber to mount onto its own rail.
At the rear i decided, as i did not see another option, to stick the headliner upto the rear windscreen mounting. I did not return the headliner around the rear screen mounting, hopefull this is correct although I have yet to trim this so could modify.
Re: Headliner fixing
And the last photo which would not load before, perhaps there is a limit in the number allowed per post
Re: Headliner fixing
Helpful pictures. I did not get mine to look as good as yours around the windows but I used Evostik which 'grabbed' very quick not allowing much adjustment. Will look at it again this year to see if I can inprove it. Worth the effort though and I enjoyed seeing overall result.
What did you use to line the roof before fitting the headlining?
What did you use to line the roof before fitting the headlining?
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Re: Headliner fixing
Paul, after hours of dusty arm aching work to remove the original, i was recommended a product i bought on ebay. Item number 282682035197 which is self adhesive and foil backed to retain heat in the cabin. I used what i had left from my order of 2sqm to line the boot area which i have been able to photograpph. I cannot vouch for this product yet but i trusted the recommendation, it was very easy to work with cost effective.
Re: Headliner fixing
Looks interesting, I will have a look at it. I need something like this to go behind my rear seats. For the roof I used some Toyota sound deadening that I bought from a stall at the NEC show. I stuck that on with Evostik about 15 years ago and still going strong. Not original I know but sometimes you do need a bit of more recent technology. The original stuff was disgusting to get off, it was falling apart.
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
