Fitting wind deflector
Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:41 pm
by baz234
Can anybody tell me how to take the panel off in the interior of a XJS Celebration convertible where the inertia seat belt come out? I want to fit a wind deflector and the fittings connect where the seat belt exit underneath the chrome cap.
Re: Fitting wind deflector
Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:02 pm
by davidr
Hi Baz
As I recall having done the same myself with my Celebration it goes something like this
First take out the back seats - screws under the set squab (bottom) into the carpet
Then take out the seat back - screws into the back bulkhead at the bottom
Next prise off the sill covers - get a long screwdriver or similar underneath and carefully lever
Take off the furflex from around the door
Get behind the trim on the pillar and pull out the press fittings that hold it in
There is also a press in stud just behind the quarter light - best to drop the top to get to this all
Hopefully you will then be able to pull the trim out
It's not too hard so long as you're careful and use common sense. What I found tricky when putting in a wind deflector was getting to to fit. The one I have was obviously made for an earlier car and later ones like ours are different.
You're not too far away from me. If you'd like to meet up for a better explanation/demonstration then pm me
PS I have done this on my own car but I may have forgotten something!
Re: Fitting wind deflector
Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:10 pm
by ptjs1
baz234,
I agree with most of David's points except I found that you can certainly avoid taking out the rear seat backrest, the door furflex, and also the sill covers. However, if you've never done the job before, removing the sill cover can make it a bit easier.
You need to be careful when repositioning the panel in order to get the press clips lined up accurately on the B-post.
Depending on how the design has changed, you may also find it difficult to fit the deflector brackets without them fouling the chrome trim piece where they exit. If so, you can get the alignment better by removing the two metal guide plates under the seatbelt bolt. (You'll understand what I mean when you see it!)
Again, the design may have changed but be careful when fitting the deflector. It's safer with 2 people, as otherwise you may damage the seatback or side trim when fitting. I know this!
When you fit the screen, set it up so that it leans forward to the front seats. If you set it up vertically it can tend to fold back at high speed.
Good luck, do feel free to contact me if you get stuck.
Paul Sinnott