Page 1 of 1

Switches for electric windows - sense of operation

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:23 am
by PJAB
Hi

I bought my car just over a year ago and am gradually working my way through getting it into as good condition as is feasible. Mechanically it is now - I believe - in pretty good condition so I can drive it without being concerned that I may be damaging it. I am now turning my attention to ensuring that its functionality is as it should be - which leads me here!

Pressing “forward” on the electric window rocker switch raises the windows - whereas pressing “backward” on the rocker switch lowers the windows.

Is this as it should be or are the switches operating in a reverse sense? The more that I think about it, the more I think that it would be more ergonomically natural if pressing forward on the switch lowered the window and pressing backward on the switch raised the window.

How does the switch operate on your car? Does anyone have a definitive answer as to the sense in which the switch should operate?

None of this really matters in the big picture of life - but it would be satisfying to know how the car left the factory now that the current operation of the switch seems counter intuitive to me.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Re: Switches for electric windows - sense of operation

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:49 am
by PaulGover
On mine it works the other way round. It's possible someone needed to remove the centre console (it can be in the way of a number of repair operations) and got the wiring wrong when replacing, or preferred the version you have. According to my workshop manual, removing the console requires removing the obvious screws and gently bending the ski slope so the switches clear the back of the console, then pull the plugs. Then you discover the wires are very short, and it's hard to work out which ones go where! Very fiddly. AFAIR, the plugs fit either way round, so it's easy to swap directions.

Re: Switches for electric windows - sense of operation

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:06 pm
by PJAB
Hi Paul

Thanks for contributing to the post. I’m pretty sure that mine are the wrong way round - I’m away at the moment but when I get back I’ll see of the Owner’s Manual or the Repair Operation’s Manual has any clues. However, the fact that the first reply to my query supported my hunch that the switches are back to front is encouraging.

Could anyone else spare the time to check their switches and let me know, please? I won’t make any changes until I refurbish the ski slope next winter - but it would be nice to have a decisive direction of travel (literally) on this query.

As ever, thanks

Peter

Re: Switches for electric windows - sense of operation

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:35 pm
by ptjs1
Peter,

Your switches are correct. That's the way mine are and the way it describes their use in the Drivers Handbook.

I must say, that I find that the intuitive way. And it's consistent with the picture on the switch. Push Forward to the Up part of the window.

Anyway, at least your car is correctly set up as it left the factory.

Cheers

Paul

Re: Switches for electric windows - sense of operation

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:15 pm
by ng4xjs
If it is of any consolation mine were forward up and rearward down. Although guess you have which ever way round works best for you. The import bit is to take care not to damage the plastic support bezel location lugs which is fragile at the best of times.

Nick

Re: Switches for electric windows - sense of operation

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:53 pm
by PJAB
Hi Nick

Thanks for replying to my post. I concluded that the switches were fitted the correct way round (looking at old car sale brochures) and were operating in the correct sense according to the graphic on the switch - so I decided to leave well alone!

I still find the ergonomics of the switch operation a bit counter intuitive (aka “charming”) - but I think that it is for me to adapt to the Jag rather than for the Jag to adapt to me!

Peter