Early radio

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

User avatar
leo_denmark
Posts:11
Joined:Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:14 pm
Early radio

Postby leo_denmark » Wed May 03, 2017 7:51 am

Hi

I have a newer radio mounted in my 1977 XJ-S.

I would love to get a correct radio like this one. Any inputs on brand and model ?

Image
BR Leo Jensen - Denmark
1975 Citroën 2CV - 1992 XJ40 3.2 (660341) - 1977 XJ-S V12 coupe (2W53309BW) w. 1989 HE engine www.xj-s.dk

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Early radio

Postby davidr » Wed May 03, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi - something in the back of my mind says Motorola but I wouldn't swear by it!
Are you going for complete originality or do you just want it to look period? If it's the latter there are people that will supply a stereo that looks right but has modern internals so you have things like DAB radio and iPod comparability etc.
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

User avatar
leo_denmark
Posts:11
Joined:Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Re: Early radio

Postby leo_denmark » Thu May 04, 2017 7:17 am

I'm not looking for complete originality, I guess that point was passed when a previous owner upgraded the driveline to HE engine, GM400 box and 2.88 diff.
My interior is quite original though, and it would be nice to find a radio that looks correct. Is there other options than the quite expensive Becker Mexico for upgraded radio in old style ? I think i would consider it seriously if I had an old Merc or Porsche, but I'm not sure it fits the Jaguar style...
BR Leo Jensen - Denmark
1975 Citroën 2CV - 1992 XJ40 3.2 (660341) - 1977 XJ-S V12 coupe (2W53309BW) w. 1989 HE engine www.xj-s.dk

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Early radio

Postby davidr » Thu May 04, 2017 7:28 am

Hi Leo
Check out www.vintagecarradio.co.uk
I've not used this company before but I just offer it as an example of a period radio but with more modern internals
Regards
David

User avatar
leo_denmark
Posts:11
Joined:Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Re: Early radio

Postby leo_denmark » Thu May 04, 2017 8:01 am

That is really nice, thanks.

I will still need input on what radio I should look for. I forgot to check what was mounted in the gold XJ-S in Coventry Transportation Museum when I was there in September.

Any pictures of preHE dashboards out there ?
BR Leo Jensen - Denmark
1975 Citroën 2CV - 1992 XJ40 3.2 (660341) - 1977 XJ-S V12 coupe (2W53309BW) w. 1989 HE engine www.xj-s.dk

pimgmx
Posts:66
Joined:Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:56 am
Location:Haarlem area, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Early radio

Postby pimgmx » Thu May 04, 2017 8:09 am

Leo,

If you can't find what you need in UK or the European continent you may want to send an email to Jag Heaven in California.
They have more XJ-S stuff in one place than probably anywhere else on the planet...
http://jaguarheaven.com/

When I visited they literally had a shelf full of XJ-S radios, all nicely labelled by model year, worth a try?
the ex-daily: 93 3.2 Sovereign http://bit.ly/14GTNrq
the minter: 93 4.0 Insignia http://bit.ly/1iGrmsU
the hooligan: 95 XJR http://bit.ly/1cW11DN
the GT: 89 5.3 XJ-S http://bit.ly/1WQGpC5

User avatar
leo_denmark
Posts:11
Joined:Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Re: Early radio

Postby leo_denmark » Thu May 04, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks Pim, I will try to contact them. Maybe I will have to visit them later this year ;)
BR Leo Jensen - Denmark
1975 Citroën 2CV - 1992 XJ40 3.2 (660341) - 1977 XJ-S V12 coupe (2W53309BW) w. 1989 HE engine www.xj-s.dk


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest